Latest News: Forums Technical Clam-cleats with keepers and cages

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • AUTHOR

Folks

these rather nifty looking cleats are advertised in Wayfarer News, and could enable me to undertake my “through the thwart” control-line scheme (along with some nice sea-sure through-deck sheaves). They seem like a great idea, but I’ve never used one. Are they as good as they sound?. Any objections to cleating a kicker with one of these?

they go by the memorable names of CL832CKC – In-line CL815 Cage with CL211 Mk2 cleat & CL815 Keeper, and (its slightly larger relative) CL833CKC – In-line CL816 Cage with CL211 Mk1 cleat & CL814 Keeper. Picture of the smaller of the two below …

BTW anyone who doens’t want to upset my feelings by telling me that three contol-lines through a thwart is just a bad bad idea – don’t worry, I’d love to hear any views!

all best

Boris

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

I have found over the years that a crew or my big ass find there way onto the top of any cleat that is on top of the thwart.
    My new boat has the kicker on the aft face of the thwart and only the cunningham cleat in the cleat well.
    I can adjust the kicker, which is the fastest way to depower a mainsail, even when the crew is aft and over the thwart.
    I just dont like to sit on my controls as they need to be able to be got at and they hurt my bum!!!
    CP

Robin

Although thye sound like a good idea, I would worry about putting lines on the thwart, if only because I seem to spend so long sitting on it. Especially in light airs and downwind I prefer to get as far forward as possible to lift the transom so it is not “digging in”. Usually end up on the thwart, as far forward as I can get with an outstretched arm on the filler extension …

My preference is 3 cleats on the back of the thwart taken to a triple block to turn the lines along the centreboard case. The dont get in the way and the lines are easily held clear if slacked off to make room for sleeping, if so deisred.

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

A brief comment on the difference between clamcleats and camcleats – the former are good (in my view) for lines under a more or less constant load, but perhaps the camcleat (they’re the type with moving parts) is the fitting of choice for situations where there is frequent adjustment to be made, as in the case of your kicker, arguably.

A camcleat in good condition actively squeezes the cleated line (gently), even when there is little or no load, and usually makes an audible click when the line is released, deliberately or otherwise, both of which can be useful.

I’m a fan of clamcleats (they’re the type without moving parts), but not for the kicker (at least not that part of it). I also favour the aft edge of the thwart for the kicker cleat, btw.

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

To extend Daves point on clamcleats for kickers.

A cam cleat can be pulled out without having to pull the rope itself with more strength, and clam cleat has to be pulled more before it can release from the cleat.

So when you want a kicker OFF in a hurry, maybe the cam cleat works better.

On the other hand, if the rope in the cleat is going to get move pull on it, like a genoa halyard box, then maybe the clam cleat would work well.
    As the more tension you put on the clam cleat, the further the rope gets pulled into the clams.
    CP

Robin

oh cam / clam … had to read it a few times before I even noticed the spelling difference.

cLam cleats I like on fixed stuff .. main halyards, spinny halyard … that kinda thing.
    Anyting that needs adjustment during sailing, outhauls, kickers, cunningham, I prefer to have on cAm cleats … easier to make small adjustments IMHO

folks thanks for your splendid and clear posts on this question. You have clarified my thinking and saved me a significant amount of cash!
    all best
    Boris W6330

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.