Latest News: Forums Cruising charts?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Dave Bevan

Thanks again David. My quick search only found £30+ options. Looks like even if I have to key in co-ordinates, I’ll atleast have the comfort of a numeric keypad.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Dave M – great to hear that the MapTech charts are really neat.

I am thinking of buying a GPS, and would welcome a couple of pointers if you are willing and able:

With the map tech charts, I appreciate you can use on the PC, do you then move co-ordinates and waypoints onto the GPS? Or print off a section of chart that you are going to use?

And do you know if there is the ability, should one have a GPS with the ability to show maps / charts, to actually download selected charts to the GPS and then be seeing the chart on your GPS as you sail?

Would welcome any pointers you have.

(for info, I am considering buying a Garmin ETrex Venture, but think the map Software might only be their proprietary Mapsource Maps….)

W10143

Jon

With the map tech charts, I appreciate you can use on the PC, do you then move co-ordinates and waypoints onto the GPS? Or print off a section of chart that you are going to use?

usually both – I use either Toughprint Waterproof Inkjet Paper (Does what it says on the tin!) or A3 laminated (printed both sides). Appropriate areas in both UKHO Chart and OS Maps are printed out, and Waypoints downloaded to the GPS – these will also print on the charts.

And do you know if there is the ability, should one have a GPS with the ability to show maps / charts, to actually download selected charts to the GPS and then be seeing the chart on your GPS as you sail?

What you’re talking about is a handheld plotter; they are available to display sufficient detail with C-Map charts, but IMHO Mapsource standard doesn’t cut it on the detail stakes. Cost? Possibly as much as a new mainsail upwards!

An elegant solution in the W would be to use a PDA with the MAptech Charts and Memory Map’s Pocket Navigator. You can waterproof this in a suitable case http://www.otterbox.com and link hardwired or Bluetooth to your GPS.

Alternatively you could just fit a USB to your boat!……

Good Luck
    David

Tony Green
    Participant

Hi
    This is getting a little high tech for me…… Electronics and salt water never get on well.
    I scan overlapping sections of chart on A4 scanner and overlay a compass rose with circles scaled at nm at convenient waypoints on each section before printing out (or draw it on with compass and ruler after printing). Print double sided – ensure that adjacent sections are not on the same sheet, cut off the white margin (I have an old printer) and laminate.
    When in the boat using goto waypoint on my old basic e-trex gives direction and distance to chosen waypoint with the rose and circles its easy to estimate your position. The A4 sheets can be strapped to the forward side benches with a couple of shock cords – gives the crew something to look at. If you want to look at a larger area overlay the laminates and you get a bigger chart.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dave (Bevan)

I too have a Garmin 12, and I have the interface cable if you want to borrow it.

r.seabrook@ntlworld.com

Dave Bevan

Thanks Richard. I got one last year, and used with some freeware that was recommended in this topic.
    Still thinking about a new handheld. Oregon 400 looks good, if a bit pricey. You can’t beat the GPS12 for rugged reliability, mine must be 10yrs old now and has been up many mountains.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all, particularly Daves,
    I just bought a Garmin 72 which I suspect is similar to the Garmin 12, ie “non- mapping” but with the option to get a cable to link to the PC, and then (according to Garmin) you need a software disc called Mapsource Waypoint Manager. As a superb value £80 toy I could be tempted to buy the £20ish cable but then its another £20 plus for the disc but THEN would I still be typing in co-ordinates? And would I have to be spending further cash on electronic maps, or is it easy to integrate with say Google Earth, (navigating on land). I’m more than happy manually entering co-ordinates at present but if I spend a further £40 or so do I get a massive practicality gain?
    Cheers
    Dave Mac
    PS You can’t tell I just did my Day Skipper Theory. I also invested in the Imray 2000 series charts of the Solent, after the OS maps last year Bob). Winter dream time.

W10143

Dave

Cables available from http://lynks.co.uk/pda.html#pda-pplug – don’t buy Mapsource, fantastic Shareware Waypoint program available to download from http://www.gpsu.co.uk/ which fits Garmin like a glove and has a good support group at Yahoo Groups http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/gpsu/

Get your Waypoints Organised.

David

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the quick response David. I’ve read through this whole post several times but I think the penny has dropped now and I’ll order a cable tomorrow, despite only having 4 Waypoints so far! The next stage is to see what chart/map information I can use to source co-ordinates. I shall look at the Map Tech stuff next, while experimenting with Google Earth and any other free electronic maps anyone cares to suggest?
    cheers Dave

W10143

Dave

Google earth your routes/waypoints – save to *.kml /*.kmz – import to GPSUtility and rename/sort them – save to a folder on your PC. You then have Ready made groups of Wayponts you can upload to your GPS when you need them for a particular cruising area.

David

Anonymous
    Inactive

David
    Got my lead from Lynks for £12.95 and GPS and PC are connected. Have to use my daughters computer as mine doesn’t have the serial port and I’m remaining a cheapskate for the moment. Mastering the GPS utilty software looks quite straightforward (nice tutorial) so I’m in business. Now to generate some data from real life! Cruising area is the South Downs on the bike at present! Many thanks
    Dave

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.