Latest News: Forums Cruising charts?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I know this is probably personal preference and how long is a piece of string etc etc but does anyone have a preference for particular charts for cruising / day sailing?
    …….Further if you were to sail along the north coast of the Isle of Wight and from chichester harbour to lymington as your general sailing area (ie the Solent) what might you choose and why? (answers on a postcard to……..).
    ……..What would you use for a circumnavigation of Hayling island?

P.S. Please do not take this debate too far down the safety line……..obviously everyone should sail within their limits of their experience

Anonymous
    Inactive

A very slightly flippant reply, but forget about the charts and get a set of OS 1:50k maps to cover the area. As a rule the detail on the map is more relevant to Wayfarer cruisers than that on a chart.

W10143

Here Here Bob

However, sometimes useful to have both…..

David

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for both replies to date. I’m certainly a OS fan (addict) and O.S map could show nearest bridleway to the pub next to church with spire etc etc , but also I think I’ve doing too much reading about dodging the sandbanks in the Thames estuary ..”Sailing just for fun” by AC Stock…..not sure the title is accurate, more like sailing as a total way of life…….

Keep those opinions coming..particularly from any Solent locals
    ….what scale charts David?
    cheers Dave

W10143

Dave

I cheat, and use BSB Chart Packs with Memory Map – I can view both chart and OS side by side if necessary, and print off just what I need onto laminated or waterproof paper.

David

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks David
    Had a bit of a google with your reply and very impressed with what is out there (even if it is just a bit OTT for my current family day sails). Memory map.co.uk gives a free trial which I will play with some time.

Finally as a bit of a cheat for locating shallows I have uploaded some piks of East Head, Itchenor reach and Spinnaker tower I took out of my brothers microlight……..have a look at
    learn-to-fly.co.uk if anyone fancies a trial flight!!! (it was “awesome”)

cheers Dave[img]

Anonymous
    Inactive

Maynard – you show off!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great topic everyone,

Keep it rolling, sailing in the Solent is great and you all seem to have more experience than I.

I hope we shall sail together there on many occasions

Jim 8)

W10143

Hi all

It would appear that UKHO have changed their licensing structure, enabling Maptech to make a considerable price reduction. Having already bought electronic charts for less than half the coastline costing IRO £400, I am about to receive a DVD of the charts of the whole British Isles for £95…. 👿 ; I’ll let you know more when it arrives.

David

Bob Harland
    Participant

entrance charts for the Walton Backwaters, Deben and Alde are available from;
    http://www.eastcoastrivers.com/

They come with quite a bit of advertising – but they are free to download

Anonymous
    Inactive

There are also Admiralty Charts which are made of plastic and ring bound, A3 size. They come in sets, such as Isle of Wight and surrounds.
    They appear pretty indestructable (called Tough Charts) and I was impressed when I saw them in a chandler the other day. They would make great Wayfarer charts, albeit they cost approx £45 for a set (slightly less from Amazon). So very usable, but perhaps costly relative to the electronic charts.
    If you regularly sail one area they may be well worth splashing out on.

Dave Bevan

I’ve used the cursor coordinates on Google earth to program into our handheld GPS for a forthcoming trip to Chichester harbour. I wasn’t sure how accurate it’ll be but it looked pretty close when I tried it in the garden. We’re not planing to use it for navigation, but it’ll be handy to know how much further when the kids start saying ‘are we there yet’.

W10143

Dave

How did you transfer to the GPS – by hand? If so, there’s a shareware program called GPSU http://www.gpsu.co.uk/ which allows transfer from Google Earth mark file formats to most handhelds (if they have a computer connection); try it for nowt!

BTW the new Maptech Charts (see my post above) are great!

David

Dave Bevan

Thanks Dave, just when I thought I was being really clever!
    I have a rather elderly Garmin GPS12, and keying in (actually scrolling up/down to enter each digit) is the only way. It’s been a great tool/toy, but is showing it’s age now, and any interface cable would probably be worth more than the GPS itself!

W10143
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.