Latest News: Forums Technical centreboard control

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • AUTHOR
    jonnysummers
    Participant

Hi all. This may seem like a really daft question, but I have just purchased an old Mk2 (sail No 1498) in poor condition as a family boat but I can’t see how the centreboard is raised / lowered or held in position. I didn’t deal directly with the last owners so I can’t ask them. Is it simply pulled / pushed and then held by friction? Thanks for any answers! Jon

jameschew
    Participant

Hi Jonny,

Yes, you just push/pull it. Most have a  short length of hose pipe on the front edge which is slightly squashed by a couple of screws, and this provides the friction. Just tighten or loosen as necessary. You’ll need to lower the centreboard with the boat in the water to see it.

jonnysummers
    Participant

Hi James – Thanks for your response – I’m a big fan of keeping things simple, so it sounds good to me! Thanks again. Jon

waypad
    Participant

Hello Jonny, I agree with James as you will have someone to do the push/pull business, I have to use a block to raise and a stout bungy to lower mine as I sail single handed. It’s quite inconvenient with my setup but it is a two handed boat and so I have to manage. With James’s setup [normal] you will have no trouble. Pete

jonnysummers
    Participant

Thanks Pete – I should have plenty of (young) crew with me so won’t be an issue

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.