Latest News: Forums Technical Centre main swivel block

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Brian Tyndall
    Participant

Is there a set measurement from the transom to the centre main swivel block on the centre board case please.

john1162
    Participant

You can put it where it best suits you. Just take into account you will be sitting on the side deck with your leg against the centre thwart most of the time when going up wind.  I always arrange my centre main to uncleat easily when leaning out. I assume you have a ratchet block which needs to work without the mainsheet jamming in the cleat.

centre main

Tim Jeanneret
    Participant

I have mine (wooden boat 807) right at the top of the slope of the CB case, and I wish it were a little further down to keep it clear of the crew’s backside on the thwart. But with a wooden boat, maybe other Mks, finding something strong to screw the block down to might be a challenge – further down there is just the sloping cap and the thin sides of the CB trunk.

Bob Harland
    Participant

On our woodie the centre of the mount to the outer edge of the transom is 1.91m. There is a horizontal base already built into the aft slope of the centreboard case – so I imagine the builders (Porters) considered that an optimal position. It certainly works for us and is sufficiently clear of the centre thwart when rowing.

Brian Tyndall
    Participant

Thanks for the info

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.