Latest News: Forums Technical Centre board brake

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Jim.Byers

I have a MK 11 SD. and cant get the CB.to stay down.
    CB. 21.2 mm. Front of slot. 25.2 mm. Rear of slot.25.8.
    In 2005 I fitted the new transparent tube . Hopless.
    Last year I fitted a peice of car raditor hose (From end view it is reinforced with string embeded in the rubber ) It was O/K.at first but as the year wore on and I tightended the screws it had less affect.
    The tube seams to have worn flat where it rubbed against the C/B.case.
    Anyone any idea of a solution.Can I get toughter tube that wont ware as fast.( This one never lasted A year.)

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Jim,
    How about packing the sides of the centreboard to the width of the centreboard box around the bolt or better still over the whole area of the sides of the board inside the box so you can use the bolt to hold the centreboard down.

Do be very careful NOT to do the nut up too tight if the packing is not the same width as the box as you can squeeze the box sides and on a GRP boat crack the moulding along the box sides and hull joint.

Also slot gaskets help this problem too.

CP 😀

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Colin Parkstone wrote:

How about packing the sides of the centreboard to the width of the centreboard box around the bolt or better still over the whole area of the sides of the board inside the box so you can use the bolt to hold the centreboard down.

I don’t think that’s possible on a Mk II SD, Colin 🙁

Richard

Jim.Byers

The S.D. like the world does not have a bolt through the C.B. case and C.B.What I need is a type of hose that does not wear as quick.
    The old hose was O/K.to begin with but it wore it is now a round tube(new)but is flat where it has rubbed against the C.B.case.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yep you need thicker hose. I think you need the either some sort of coolant hose from an engine or go to DIY store and look for some black rubber hose designed to be laid as irrigation or other water supply. As this will be designed to be frost resistant I suspect it will be thicker and more rigid.

Martyn

Swiebertje
    Participant

Why does it wear so quick?

On my old mark-II I have never replaced the hose. It must have been there, perhaps for thirty years or so. Could it be that the inside of the CB case needs smoothing or is there sand in it? Have a look and try to clean it or sand it smooth. Polyester is too soft to do any serious damage to the hose unless glass is sticking out (shouldn’t but sh*t happens).

Dave8181

Some wear of the centreboard brake hose is normal. It will initially wear ‘flats’ on each side, but after tightening the screws to compensate it should work OK and last for years. The screws can be tightened using a long screwdriver when the board is half lowered, as it is difficult to fit the centreboard if the screws/brake is fully tightened before fitting the board.

The hose used is the black rubber type with the string embedded in it (as you describe). If the tube you are using is not working after tightening the screws and compressing it wider as above, the hose you are using may not be large enough in diameter. You should be able to get the tube from a dinghy supplier, Porters or automotive/marine hose supplier.

Dave 8181

Jim.Byers

Thanks all,I think I,ve solved the problem.
    I went to trident,they sell a “W” brake kit the hose dia.25.mm the one that was on was 23.13.mm.
    The definition of sailing came to mind ( Standing in a shower tearing up £20 notes)£5.25.for 2 .1/2.inch of tube and not required;two self tapers and two strips of aluminium.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.