Latest News: Forums Technical centerboard and rudder material query

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • AUTHOR
    ryansdesk

hi my centerboard and rudder have seen better days so have decided that im going to replace them, what is the cheapest way to do this, does anyone make these up and at what cost, and if im going to make them myself what is the cheapest material to use without compromising quality, also if you can tell me the best place to get the timber required and at what price roughly, i did price a piece of 8 foot by 4 foot 18mm thick marine ply for 70 quid, was looking to spend less than this really, what finish is recommended aswell again with cost in mind. Any views appreciated.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,
    Rudder blades and centreboards are either solid timber, laminated timber strips or ply. Ply is the easiest material if you intend to make them yourself. It must be marine grade and should be anti-fracture ply. This is ply where the grain direction of the veneers are not at right angles to each other.
    I have in the past made a centreboard in standard marine ply, but I made it thinner than the case and then sheathed it in two layers of glass cloth and epoxy – never broke.
    Matt
    W773

ryansdesk

thanxs for the speedy reply matt, from what your saying then i should try get marina anti-fracture ply however if cant get the anti fracture marine ply should do?

Anonymous
    Inactive

The centreboard and the rudder are two crucial components of your boat. If they should fail it is likely to be under testing circumstances. And failure will leave you in a pretty awkward situation.
    In short, these are not things to skimp on unless your boat is going no further than the local duck pond.

Bob
    W9933

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.