Latest News: Forums Introductions Castletownbere, South West Ireland W5953

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Davesp

Hi.

I’m the owner of Wayfarer 5953 ‘Camusfearna’ a MkII all fibreglass boat. I’m based on the South West coast of Ireland in the fishing port of Castletownbere. There are a few Wayfarers in the area, although none seem to be much used.

My boat previously belonged to my brother Mike. He is now living half the year in Australia. He owns another Wayfarer and will be competing in the World Championships this summer with his grandson as crew.

He raced and cruised ‘Camusfearna’ fairly extensively, one of his cruises is documented in the UKWA library; No. 116 ‘A Trip through the Isles’ 1992

My own local sailing is mostly in the sheltered ‘haven’ between Bere Island and Castletownbere, a quite large expanse, but I can also trail the boat over to the more exposed Atlantic coast where there are several places to easily slip a Wayfarer. There are also a number of offshore islands to explore including the famous Skellig rocks some sixteen miles distant.

My own sailing experience started on the Norfolk Broads and rivers as a teenager with a few trips to more coastal areas for competitive dingy racing. I also did a small amount of cruising, starting off with the amazing Ocean Youth Club in the UK. I’m now semi retired so local day sailing and some sea kayaking keeps me happy and the occasional beat out of the sheltered harbour gives me more that enough adrenalin.

If anyone is in the area or is planning to visit do get in touch via PM and I can advise on moorings, supplies, sailing, pints, camping etc. I’m may also be happy to do some pottering about in tandem with another Wayfarer.

All the best regards and happy sailing.

Dave Spathaky

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Dave, Welcome to the mad house which is the Wayfarer Class, Enjoy!

Sounds a nice place your in and nice big waves all the way from New York too.

Knew your bother many years ago and as you say,he is back to try his hand again this year at the Worlds along with many old and new sailors.

I biding memory of your bother at an open meeting.

He arrived with boat behind an old VW van, unhitched the boat and opened the van side door and the wind sucked out a mass of leaves ??

Asked what was up, he replied, ” Only transport iv got Mate ! and I had to go to the tip first before I came !!

Did he ever clean it out becaurse I think he slept with small rodents that evening !

C P 😉

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.