Latest News: Forums Racing Carbon Spi Pole

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Who would support me with a rule change to allow Carbon Spi Poles in the class???
    NOT MASTS and BOOMS, Just poles!!!!!!
    Lighter to use, better type of poles for the twin pole system and are much better for small and lightweight people to handle when working the spinaker.
    Yes they cost a bit more but are coming down all the time towards alloy ones.
    They can be repaired, unlike alloy.
    It can be a smalller size, strength for strength.
    I am looking to put forward a proposition for the rule change, anyone up to second it from you forward looking people??
    CP

Geof

Colin

I am prepared to second a proposal for Carbon Spi Pole(s)

It will probably need a demo pole for people to trial before they see the logic.

Perhaps the class could approach a manufacturer (presumably Selden) to ask for a demo pole as they would get several orders if the idea is adopted.

Geof

bigal

Petticoat government from Sue and Sarah in your boat Colin ???

….. but i would support the proposition .

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Even better Al, being the caring person I am I was thinking of them and others who may find it of use!!! 🙄
    Good point about the word, Poles Geof, we must also clear up the rule that says Pole, singular!!
    I am about to ask my trade contacts about a pole to try this season, will buy it and try it!!
    CP

Swiebertje
    Participant

Sorry to be a party pooper but dual poles are not the way to go IMHO.

The way of the wayfarer has always been to be an affordable boat for an audience from 8 to 88. I don’t see how dual poles fit in that KISS philosophy.
    Maybe we should ban dual poles so everyone, even a low budget beginner, can have a shot at the National title?
    I don’t see how dual poles help us to race on an even playing field.

Or maybe I have it all wrong and we should not only add dual poles, but a trapeze as well? After all a trapeze isn’t an expensive thing at all, everyone can afford one even an 88 year old…….

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

You can try and poop the party if you want Bert, it is your right!
    One thing that you and i Bert have in common is size and strength but not all people in the fleet have that advantage when it comes to handling the spinnaker aand the pole in big winds.

What a carbon twin pole system can do is help thoes people with the spi from the safety of the boat by the use of ropes and pulleys but without having to pull the bigger and heavier alloy poles around the mast as they do at the moment.

Lighter carbon poles when used in the twin pole system work so much better than alloy!! The small crews of the Merlin fleet use nothing else!!

Yes they cost but then so do new sails !! They have a shelf life thats reseeding each time you sail but sometimes we buy items for your boat and crew that will last a lot longer and so your only have to buy it maybe ones in a long time.

I beleave that the twin pole system has not been used in many classes because the poles in alloy restricted a successfull use but has been taken up widely when Carbon has been allowed.

Good thing is that this is a system enhancement we are talking about, not a speed enhancement to a hull or rig.
    We all make systems in our boats, to help us sail better!!!
    This will just open another one!!

Just a comment from an outsider!
    5 years ago, we were looking for a boat to sail / race. My wife / crew had just come out of 12 months surgery, and couldn’t raise her arms above her head: hence a Wayfarer with a normal spinnaker pole was no good. Instead we got a Laser 2000 – as you can launch the spinnaker and pole by just pulling on one rope.

2 years ago we upgraded: again, the Wayfarer was no good, because of the need to reach above your head to get the pole onto the mast. Instead we went for a Merlin Rocket: because of the freedom of fittings, and the use of the light-weight carbon poles, it was very easy to rig up a “pull a rope to launch the pole” system. If you can allow carbon poles, that can be stored along the boom when not being used, then you will enable many more small / lightweight / young / unfit / older people to be able to sail competitively.

A gybe in the Merlin is a case of: release the pole rope, gybe the mainsail, pull the other pole launching rope. Quick and easy, and can be done sitting down without needing to go forward and bury the bow down a wave etc.

Cheers, Chris
    Laser 2000 22116. Merlin 3666.

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Thankyou Chris, Just the point I was trying to make!!! CP

Fantasia

I would support your wish for carbon poles. I agree that a twin carbon pole arrangement would be a bit extravagant for a Wayfarer, but they do seem to work rather well on a Merlin. Carbon poles are even allowed in the Victory Class that I am now sailing in. These are 1930’s clinker built design with wooden mast and boom.

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Thanks Fan, Forward looking class or what!!! I would only say to one of your points, is it extravagant when you are only buying it ones!! We can also buy the single pole instead!
    The point I would make about this rule change is that it gives crews and helms a better and more upto date option when fitting out the boat which in turn will help with the sailing and handling for all kinds of crews.
    The only speed advantage is the being able to do something better, not going faster because its a couple of grms lighter.
    CP

Swiebertje
    Participant

@Colin Parkstone wrote:

not going faster because its a couple of grms lighter.

Not while me and my crew still out-weigh the boat….. :mrgreen:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.