Latest News: Forums Technical Bursting trolley wheels !!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • AUTHOR
    PeterW3035

On Sunday I was faced with my third burst trolley wheel this year ๐Ÿ‘ฟ Luckily I managed to borrow one for my sail, easy enough to change but not something I want to keep doing.

On one side of my trolley I have a plastic wheel that must be 15 years old and no problems at all, the other side has now had two brand new plastic wheels both different makes and each one has burst while the boat was stationary.

Each new tyre was just fitted as bought and I must admit I didn’t check pressures, tyre wall says max 2 Bar.

I will now have to get a couple of new inner tubes but question is why โ“

Did the wheel get too hot in the sun and expand to burst? Someone has said keep pressure high and another has said keep them soft? Are the wheels not suitable for a heavy Wayfarer?

Any thoughts?

Swiebertje
    Participant

I have replaced the inner tubes several times. At 3 bar they will burst after a while. Even at 2 Bar they may burst on a hot day if inflated on a cold day. The best solution I have seen so far: foam filled tires. Foam filled tires are as hard as a 3 Bar inflated tube but never bursts. and a hard tire is much easier to pull. By the way, my rims have deformed due to the sun’s heat. This is may be another reason the inner tube burst. I can imagine the tire being pushed off the deformed rim by the too high pressure. (Not sure though, I wasn’t there when it burst).

Trolley wheels are exactly the same as wheelbarrow wheels. Foam filled wheels should be available from any builders or farmers supply store. You cannot put a foam filled tire on your existing rim, you have to buy a complete wheel. (AFAIK the tire is filled with foam after it is put on the rim. similar to how we put air in a tire). Some wheelbarrow wheels have ball bearings, replace those by the reducers of your current wheels but others have reducers instead of ball bearings. Check this when you buy them. Just 2B sure, bring an old wheel to the store to compare.

On the other hand, a foam filled wheel would set me back 17 Euro’s whereas a new inner tube costs only 1 Euro, go figure….

PeterW3035

Thanks, I picked up a couple of inner tubes today from my local chandler (cost me somewhat more than 1 euro ๐Ÿ˜ฏ )

Their advise is to check there is nothing sharp on the rims, replace the tube and inflate to the pressure shown on the rim (25psi) not the tyre (2 bar). He felt is was just one of those things and he had heard of the actual red rim shattering in the sun ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

On checking 25 psi = 1.72 bar and 2 Bar = 29.007 psi

So will fit the new tubes and see what happens, watch this space…………………..

Swiebertje
    Participant

@PeterW3035 wrote:

Thanks, I picked up a couple of inner tubes today from my local chandler (cost me somewhat more than 1 euro ๐Ÿ˜ฏ )

Chandlers…. Do you buy shoes from your local butcher?
    Wheelbarrow parts are best bought at a farmers or builders supply store.

PeterW3035

๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† it was partly to quiz the chandlers about the wheel he sold me earlier this year and partly to buy some other bits & bobs to help give him some trade in this age when the small local shops are being shut down by the big conglomerates and the internet. When I need my shrouds replaced or shortened he will be the guy to happily do it.

BTW all the wheel barrow wheels I’ve seen in this country have a fixed spindle stuck into the centre of the hub not a hole that we need for our trolleys. Now you may be right about the tube but from a quick Ebay search last night there seemed to be a lot of different sizes including those described for the said barrows. Time will tell if I need to think about foam filling.

Any way, do you buy your shoes from your local carpenter ? ๐Ÿ˜›

PS. Thanks for your comments 8)

Swiebertje
    Participant

@PeterW3035 wrote:

Any way, do you buy your shoes from your local carpenter ? ๐Ÿ˜›

As a matter of fact I do. My father in law, a carpenter, was the largest wooden shoe manufacturer in the country before he retired. :mrgreen:

PeterW3035

:mrgreen: nice one

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Tell me Bert, would a Dutchman with a wooden leg wear Clogs ?
    CP

Swiebertje
    Participant

@Colin Parkstone wrote:

Tell me Bert, would a Dutchman with a wooden leg wear Clogs ?

No, just one. Clog – tock – clog – tock – clog – tock….

PeterW3035

This thread just gets better and better :mrgreen:

A UK standard wheel barrow wheel has a 12mm diameter (or thereabouts) axle hole so not suitable for substitution to a launching trolley. Smaller tyre usually also. Don’t know anything about clogs but blister plasters might be a good idea!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.