Latest News: Forums Technical Bottom boards

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • AUTHOR

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has already done the rounds !!.

I am looking at replacing the old floorboards on my MK1 GRP. can anyone please help with the correct material and thickness. I have read the Wayfarer book, but have also received conflicting information from other W users.

The boards are in four parts at the moment, is it easier or more practical to just have them in two long sections ?

Thanks for your help.

Laurie
    W1858

Bob Harland
    Participant

The floorboards are covered by the class rules – download a copy from WIC;
    http://www.wayfarer-international.org/WIC/ClassRules_index.htm

This specifies a minimum thickness 8mm or 5/16″.
    Whether you choose marine ply or not depends on your budget – Robbins will deliver marine ply. Better quality ply will also be stronger for a given thickness.

Personally I would always have “2 long sections”.

There is quite a detailed post on floorboards here;
    http://wayfarer.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=355

hope that helps

Laurie

When I posted the questions in the thread that Bob referred to I was initially keen on replacing one part boards with two part ones but I went with the advice of one part boards. That was on my mkII. I now have a mk1 which has two part boards. I have found that the aft ones flex a little more than the one part boards despite having battens underneath to stiffen them up (I sail with the aft benches removed so perhaps there is a tendency to tread a little closer to the edges of the boards). I dont know what grade of ply they had been made from.

So, having some experience of both versions, I too would probably conclude that one part boards are the way to go.

Jonathan
    W2312

Thanks for all your help,

Laurie
    W1858

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.