Latest News: Forums Technical Boom Pockets for Reefing Lines

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Fundoctor

‘Farers

At recent cruising conference boats were sporting small pockets riveted to the boom into which the reefing lines were stuffed out of the way when the main is reefed. Others think stuffing the lines in with the sail is fine. What is the case for these pockets and can they be purchased or are they home-made?

On a similar theme an RYA video suggests chucking/feeding the main halyard over the side of the boat when downing the mainsail as way of avoiding snags. Never heard of that before – is that a known practice amongst Wayfarers?

Yours faithfully

Trevor
    W9002

Fantasia

Have definitely used the technique of throwing halyards (spin & main) over the side prior to a drop, it saves tangles. You have to bare in mind though that they are technically still part of the boat and therefore should not be fouled by another during racing or you risk a penalty. I don’t know about reefing and pockets.

John

Dave Bevan

@Fundoctor wrote:

At recent cruising conference boats were sporting small pockets riveted to the boom into which the reefing lines were stuffed out of the way when the main is reefed. Others think stuffing the lines in with the sail is fine

We’ve got loops of bungee around the mast and the outboard end of the boom. We just coil the reefing lines and tuck them under the bungee. Also keeps them tidy when not rigged.

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Taking John point with regards to sheets over the stern, I too have thrown the spi halyard over the back to de snag it.

The rope starts to untwist via the turn in the rope, used in the making of the rope itself.

I also have done it between races with the spi sheets when i found that they had a twist in them.

But Beware, !!!!! I came upon a boat at a spi take down mark who had his spi halyard out the back of his boat, I just could not resist holding it as he tried to lower his spi,…….. 😆 Bad boy Colin

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.