Latest News: Forums Technical Boom End

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Paul Coveney
    Participant

Hi all,

Just got myself a GRp Mk2 – slowly get my head around how to rig her, previous owner not very helpful!

Forgive the newbie question, but I’ve not come across this type of boom end before, it doesn’t look “standard” Wayfarer. Does the main sheet block attach to one end of the metal plate as in my photo? can’t work out where the mainsail clew would go either.

Any help gratefully received!

Cheers,

Paul

Paul Coveney
    Participant

Sorry the site seems to rotate the photo and I can’t correct it!

Paul Coveney
    Participant

Any other general comments about the rigging would also be really helpful. Cheers.

Kez
    Participant

Hello Paul, my Mk2 W came with that style of boom as well as another which the previous owner had picked up at a boat jumble but never fitted.  I elected to use the boat jumble one but I still have the old one, same type as you (I must get rid of it sometime, anyone want a free boom (in Sussex).

It rather looks as though the previous owner dispensed with an outhaul system to tension the foot of the sail.  Maybe he just tied it on.  If you want to be able to control sail shape for different conditions it is desirable to be able to slacken off the foot on a run and to tighten up on a beat.

So I just went and had a look at my old boom.  On the the casting at the outboard end, on the top there is a shape that has kinda “ears”.  I can see it on yours too, in front of the strap. BTW I think that strap is too long, in my case the end of the strap was close to the pivot point so did not interfere with what I am calling ears. Looking inside the boom there is a sheave/pulley  wheel close to being under where that deck eye is on the top of your boom with a slot cut in the back of the track to allow a line to exit.

This is all part of a 2:1 purchase on your outhaul so I would expect you to find an opening at the front end of the boom, most likely with another sheave for the outhaul to emerge, or it may be part of the gooseneck socket casting at the front end of the boom. There should be a cleat of some sort near the place where the outhaul emerges.

So the whole system goes: a line enters the boom at the front, passes aft through the boom until it reaches the sheave, it passes under the shave and exits upwards through the foot-rope slot, passes forward through the cringle on the clew of the mainsail then passes back (possibly through that deck eye although it is not necessary) where a loose loop (maybe a bowline or you could splice a soft eye) loops around those ears.  A pull in the outhaul up near the mast now exerts 2 x the force to pull the clew of the sail outwards, tensioning the foot of the sail. Cleat it off at the front and voila! you have an outhaul.

Paul Coveney
    Participant

Thanks Kez, that’s incredibly helpful. I think I might convert it back to the more usual boom/outhaul arrangement. There’s boom on ebay that might do the trick.   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wayfarer-sailing-dinghy-boom-Delivery-possible/133090272682

Paul Coveney
    Participant

One other quick question….

I’ve noticed some other Wayfarers seem to have a line shackled to the outer end of the boom that then runs up to the top of the mast – supporting the boom – see photo of another boat (not mine) below. My boat does not have this line. Does it need to?

Kez
    Participant

Not for sailing. If you have a topping lift it should be slackened off when the sail is up, it will really mess your efforts to get the shape right if it is tight.

It might be useful to have one if you plan to drop an anchor to sit on board to enjoy the sunshine but you could use the main halyard for that.

I wouldn’t bother but you may find that some people find them useful.

Paul Coveney
    Participant

Ah, that makes sense. many thanks Kez.

Kez
    Participant

Paul, I have belatedly realised I omitted an important detail, I hope one of your sailing mates has pointed it out to you.

I was talking about a 2:1 arrangement, in fact it should be 4:1 with another block halfway along inside the boom. The line I described entering the front of the boom goes over a loose block inside the boom and returns to the front of the boom where it is tied off. I guess the block is about halfway along the length of the boom.  The line that continues aft, attached to the in-boom block is the one that eventually emerges and does the business on the clew of the sail.

My apologies for the omission.

Paul Coveney
    Participant

Thanks for that Kez.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.