Latest News: Forums Cruising Boat Tents

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Just a quick reminder if you’re interested in joining any of the UKWA cruising events this summer (or have your own plans to sleep aboard your Wayfarer), there are two boat tents available for hire to UKWA members. The tents fit all marques of Wayfarer, and you won’t need to make any modifications to your boat.

It will cost you £15 to hire a tent for a UKWA event (£25 for private use) plus the cost of sending the tent to the next person using it, typically £12 – £15. Further details via the Cruising section of this website, (and much else besides).

Anonymous
    Inactive

hi DAVE
    I’M CURRENTLY LOOKING AT MAKING MY OWN TENT FOR MY MARK II FOR CRUISING IN 2017 OR WHETHER HE WEATHERS BAD OVER THE WINTER AND REALLY INTERESTED IN THE CLUBS WAYFARER DESIGN AND MATERIALS
    WOULD BE INSTERESTED TO KNOW WHAT MATERIAL ITS MADE FROM, WHETHER IT CAN IT BE SEWN ON A HOME DOMESTIC MACHINE, AND HOW IT FIXES TO THE BOAT SECURELY.

REGARDS
    PAUL – W7115

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

HI PAUL – sorry, Hi Paul,

The Association tent is made from Ventile – a form of tightly woven cotton cloth. The design is a compromise to make the tent suitable for all marks of Wayfarer, including the ‘World’ and the Mk4, but not specifically tailored to any one Wayfarer.

Ventile is fairly pricey, even when ‘seconds’ quality is available, but it’s durable, waterproof without needing chemical coating, breathable and doesn’t rustle like some artificial fibres.

Home designs of Wayfarer tent usually go for either a simple over-boom ridge tent design or a more spacious frame tent. The frameless versions are simpler and a bit quicker to erect, but smaller inside.

Ventile can be sewn on a domestic machine, but the close weave makes it necessary to have a sharp needle. I’ve found it helpful to use double-sided seaming tape (which however tends to gum up the needle) and a walking foot. I don’t mean the waterproofing type of seam tape – this is just to hold things in place whilst sewing.

Wayfarer sailors who own a boat tent usually have a permanent rope/string bridle around the boat just below the gunwhales, to which velcro strips on the tent can be attached. The Association tent has a non-fixed shockcord system which has to be rigged and the removed each time the tent is used and only holds the tent down at three points along its length (plus a foredeck tie). I know it’s a bit difficult to envisage, but one day I’ll make a video of this – in the meantime you could do worse than come to the Cruising Conference in March and see it ‘in the flesh’.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.