Latest News: Forums Technical Boat Tent – Tight Wad

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • AUTHOR
    krgough
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve spent my weekend attempting to make a cheap boat tent. The boom crutch was made a few weeks ago to a design provided by Swiebertje. I bought a “super white poly tarp” plastic tarpaulin off the internet for about £30. I have an old Singer sewing machine – bought off ebay for £35 that I use for cover repairs – this machine is all metal – no plastic gears – and amazingly will sew 3-4 layers of canvas and webbing. I made a rough model using a sheet of paper so I knew roughly how I was going to fold the stern and bow doors. Chopped up the tarp to a rough shape and used my boat cover as a template for bits round the shrouds and the collar round the mast. I bought uv-resistant thread and some double sided sticky tape from these guys

http://www.sailcloth.co.uk/

The double sided tape is used to hold your layers of material together rather than using pins – much easier and quicker.

I need to sort out a bridle and some means to tie the sides of the tent down to the bridle. It’s not going to win any beauty contests but I’m pretty pleased with the results.

regards

Keith

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Keith
    Always love posts on boat tents! I never mastered a sewing machine but wish I had. When I made mine I bought a tool from an ordinary DIY shop which punched through material and fitted a small cringle wherever I wanted, then lots of bits of “string” to tie canvas to a bridle. I fitted little eyes under the rubbing strake to fit the bridle to and they are very unobtrusive. Big improvement over my first bridle which was held with 3 or 4 lines under the hull fitted whilst afloat (the tent is enough hassle when you’re tired). Trouble is the tool cost about £12 fro memory, increasing your tight wad costs by at least err 30%.
    Happy camping!
    Dave

krgough
    Participant

Hi Dave, i’m glad someone replied to my post. I was beginning to think i had misjudged the readership 🙂 Hmm 12quid in these days of fiscal chaos is not to be sniffed at. I’ve managed to blag some wide velcro from a mate at work. I’m planning to try and do something with that. Already working on plans for the first trip. cheers Keith

howard

OK, you’ve tempted me to reply …

I’m afraid that I can’t get anywhere near your project cost – I made a tent last year and used breathable proofed material. Same procedure with sewing machine – old metal one. So for the first time, and providing much amusement for my wife, I learned to machine-sew.

My tent was inspired by Ralph’s hoop tent, however, I managed to avoid extra bridle fittings on the boat. My bridle is trapped under the poles (velcroed to the tend for easy assembly) and clips together fore and aft as I put the tent up. I had some good sailing using it last year (some of it in more wayfarer-like spots than the photo)

Good luck with the budget.

krgough
    Participant

Hi Howard

Wow – your looks pretty professional – I was thinking of spray painting “Jewson” or something like that on mine as an ironic post-modern feeble kind of joke, but my wife persuaded me that was just a step too far.

I have one set of tent poles that I scavenged from an abandoned tent in the woods near us – I’m considering trying to incorporate a hoop with them but to be honest I don’t want to drill holes in my gunwhale.

Anyone ever been tenting in Newtown Creek on the Isle of Wight – I’m thinking of making that my first tenting trip.

regards

Keith

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

I was beginning to think i had misjudged the readership

You’re unlikely to overestimate the readership on this forum. 😉

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Keith, How about a name for your tent?

Try ” Credit Crunch Cabin “

C P 😆

krgough
    Participant

Just back from a fantastic two day cruise to Newtown and the christening of my polytarp tent (sorry – credit crunch cabin). Came flying back today mostly on the plane even with a reef in! fairly strong winds (gusts up to 30kts today apparantly) – the gps was saying 8kts over the ground at one point.

I took a top tip from Bob and took out the rear benches when we were sleeping and used then as a shelf between the front benches for putting all the other kit on. This made a vast difference – sleeping with the rear benches in place was a very uncomfortable. Newtown was so quiet mid-week and we were tucked away in a corner so it was a very good night – I’ve had much worse on some campsites!

We very nearly got neaped – I will be more carefull next time.

PS – the pub at Shalfleet serves some excellent Isle Of Wight beer (fuggle de dee or something like that) and the food was ok too.

PPS – There are glow worms in the river bank there – we saw them last night – amazing. I’ve never seen them before.

Keith

Anonymous
    Inactive

Fantastic. Green with envy, how did you fix the weather??
    Counting the days to my window of opportunity. I’m predicting gales for 27/28 June or a regatta of RIBS and jetskis and a flat calm.
    Dave

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.