Latest News: Forums Cruising Boat Tent Design

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • AUTHOR
    jriding

We are designing a boat tent for our woody W588, Rob Wagstaffe has kindly agreed to make it for us if we can decide what we want. We would be very interested to hear from anyone who has experience of using a a boat tent with a woody. We are anxious to keep any permanent fittings to an absolute minimum.
    At present we favour a hoop based design similar to that described by Tom Graefe on the Wayfarer International site. As our plans develop we are logging progress in a forum on our own site at http://plenumorganum.org.uk/e107_test/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewforum.php?19 and would welcome any comments or suggestions either here or to our own forum.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Both,
    I have a Canvas Windmill simple Mk one (A-frame) tent in canvas. The only fittings I have added are small eyes under the gunwale that are all but invisible that take a bridle rope round the hull. The tent can be erected in minutes, having velcro tapes to hold it on. It does lack room, but in fair weather (which is most of the time) I only have the front half up until it is time for lights out.
    I have considered using a sail batten fitted into the rowlock holes each side to extend the middle section a bit (I didn’t want any superfluous fittings either), but decided not really necessary.
    Good luck,
    Matt
    W773

Swiebertje
    Participant

I would agree with Matt. In fact I have the exact same tent from Rob Wagstaffe. Only if you plan to stay aboard for a week or longer I would consider something more complex.

On the other hand, a long batten stores easy, flat on the floorboards. AFAIK a batten hoop in the rowlocks does not change the triangular design.

Having said my piece, I can only add that you should talk to, and trust Rob Wagstaffe?s judgment. Rob and Caroline are experienced Wayfarer cruisers, valued association members and most of all very pleasant people (and dear friends) to go out on a cruise with. Rob is the kind of craftsman that simply refuses to make solutions that are impractical or plain nonsense. Given his history in Wayfarer cruising and his attitude I would place great value on his opinion. He simply is not the kind of guy that tries to drain your wallet, rather he will help you to find the best solution for your situation.

Remember that my best tent design is not necessarily your best tent design. It all depends on intended usage, sail area and a few other criterions. Once you made your list of criterions and prioritize them, I am sure Rob will make the best tent design for your situation.

Anonymous
    Inactive

What an excellent reply! Well done Sweibertje.
    Matt
    W773

jriding

Thank you all. We are certainly planning to take Rob’s advice having visited him to talk through the options.

Matt, your point is well made but we are hoping to cruise for about a week at a time and felt the Mk 1 was a bit small as we plan to sleep on the seats (is that your habit?) rather than on the deckboards.

We are looking to design a two-hoop tent. Hoop 1 amidships fixed into the oarlocks and hoop 2 at the stern fastened to the boom crutch.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just had a look at the pics on your site – looks very neat and certainly gives more room aft. I think it is time I experimented a bit.
    Matt

Jon and Sylvia,

Sorry to re-awaken an old thread, but did you get your design made and does it work?

Jon and Sylvia
    I would be interested to know what disadvantages you see in the conventional Box Tent (Mark 3).
    John

W10143

Hi All

Just been experimenting with hoops for my creation; http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/outdoorgear/ctl3870/cp19561/cl3/Tent_Poles
    has fiberglass tent poles of varying diameter – I have found that 6 sections of 8.5mm fits neatly over the mid section of my World with no need for cutting. However, I have raised the boom on a sliding gooseneck to give me a little more space over the World’s raised floor.

David

Anonymous
    Inactive

I see no disadvantages in the Mk 3 tents – I enjoy watching people put them up while I am finishing off my pudding!

David,

What is the part number for the sliding gooseneck? And have you solved how to fix the bottom of the tent down, particularly across the foredeck?

W10143

Adrian

You could modify this: http://www.sailboats.co.uk/Product~Holt_Sliding_Gooseneck_4mm_HA4114-2.html

or go for the original if you’ve got deep pockets!:http://shop.ldcracingsailboats.co.uk/index.asp?selection=category&InBox=Proctor%20Boom%20-%20Gooseneck%20Fittings&subcat=Gooseneck%20Parts

I use these hooks: http://www.profabrics.co.uk/shop/show_product_info.php?id=HK47
    which fit neatly over the hull/deck return – on shockcord they allow easy tightening which helps the application of tent to foredeck.

David

Anonymous
    Inactive

I read David Maynards advice on the shockcord hooks but can’t visualise it. Any chance of a picture in action? Please?

Martyn

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.