Latest News: Forums Cruising Boat Speed with outboard

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Chaps, Do any of you try a differing prop pitch to get the boat to move faster,I know it made a lot of difference to a Dory i had ones.
    My understanding is that the pitch of a prop controls, the speed or power as much as the Hp from the engine, I think???

C P 😕

keithw

Blu Tac, You are quite right my wayfarer is uncontrolable in any conditions where waves are hitting you in rear and the motor is mounted on the extended bracket ( 10” rear of the transom). My first attempt was locking the motor steering swivel and using the rudder, But the lock on my new Mariner will not hold.
    For the next attempt I used control lines about 4′ long (as used on model aeroplanes) to regulate engine speed not idea, but not bad. For steering I used 1.25”
    plastic pipe which happens to fit perfectly over motor steering handle This also was about 4′ long this did work,but is not the answer.Personally I don’t find any of this satisfactory,The motor is too far back and i am not happy being that far to the rear, Shall try to get prop deeper and clamped directly to transom.

BluTak
    Participant

The handle on my outboard actually drops into a notched piece of wood on the transom which keeps it dead ahead. For fast turning eg in marinas i can lift it out and steer rudder and outboard together squatting on the rear tank. If you clamp the outboard to the transom you probably won’t be able to use the rudder at the same time. I find it really awkward putting on the rudder at sea and you have no steerage during the operation. It would be easy to lose it over the side!
    I think your biggest problem may be the size of the engine. With 2.5hp it is a relaxed affair as you’re not going too quickly. Sometimes in rough seas the outboard will race a bit as the prop comes up especially if someone is on the foredeck, but its never been a major problem for me. I suggest you beg or borrow a smaller outboard and try that before changing anything else. I must admit though that I’ve often wished for a bit more speed than the 3.5 to 4 Knots. 5 Knots would be my ideal but I guess I’ll always want 1 more than I’ve got!!
    Robert

keithw

I do like the idea of a notched piece of wood and also agree a lighter motor would be better,Years ago I had a 40+ and found it great.but in truth the mariner is not powerful enough most of the time, going out through a narrow channel and over a shingle bar and through the breakers,The situation tends to be worse
    trying to get back in with the breakers hitting you in the rear unless you go fast enough to ride them.I guess a wayfarer with outboard is just not suitable for
    my chosen venue and in future i’ll potter around Poole and studland. keith

BluTak
    Participant

Hi Keith – I’m afraid my experience of sailing over bars ie pretty limited though years ago we attended the Firefly Nationals on the Deben and the bar was terrifying in a lot of wind and quite few capsized. I’ve scraped in over the one at Barrow on the run under full sail+ outboard in a Force 4 wind against tide. I can see that with racing surf up your rear the boat will be uncontollable with an outboard giving only 3.5 Knots. I’d be very interested to hear of other peoples experience on bars and how they cope as I do fancy Aberdovey and Barmouth. Its ok on a decked cruiser as it doesn’t get picked up by the waves like a dinghy and a few waves over the top don’t matter. I guess you have to avoid surf like the plague! Maybe I’ll ask on a new thread – I’m sure people like Bob Harland have been over a few.
    Re the seagull – it has a big relatively slow large prop which seems to give it more torque. You can tow another Wayfarer quite easily with the 40+. I don’t know if this is as easy with a fast running small prop outboard. Its probably just as good when its got momentum. All the best. Robert

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.