Latest News: Forums Technical Bilge pump

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Kilda
    Participant

Just trying to fix a manual bilge pump in my Wayfarer, on the centreboard casing looks good but the handle hooks up on the toe straps. Is there a popular spot for mounting these things?

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

If I’ve got this right you have a composite MK1A Wayfarer? Presumably you have the nice short front benches ending above mahogany knees? This (front of starboard knee) is where I’ve fitted a bilge pump on Shearwater.

There was already a skin fitting nearby, although it’s a straightforward job to fit one of these (if you have access to a hole-saw or suitable Forstner bit), so this seemed the obvious place for it. The pump is a Whale Gusher Urchin with fixed handle, through-bolted to the timber, with 38mm (1½”) hose running down the angle between knee and hull, through a small round notch in the edge of the floorboard to a strum filter box thing below the grp moulding that supports both front floorboards – just about the lowest point in the boat (except the sump between the mast step and front buoyancy tank, which would be another possible intake point).

So far so good – ironically we haven’t really needed it since I fitted it, but it would have saved a lot of tedious sponging out on the first couple of trips this year, before I solved the leaking self-bailer (incomplete gasket, though supposedly new) and centreboard bolt (not perpendicular to sides of case – the rubber washers stood no chance of taking up that much difference, so I made an extra large, thick washer/seal for either side, with silicone sealant).

It saves carrying a loose bike pump-style bilge pump, and is always to hand. Maybe we should have one on each side…?

Kilda
    Participant

@Dave Barker wrote:

If I’ve got this right you have a composite MK1A Wayfarer? Presumably you have the nice short front benches ending above mahogany knees? This (front of starboard knee) is where I’ve fitted a bilge pump on Shearwater.

There was already a skin fitting nearby, although it’s a straightforward job to fit one of these (if you have access to a hole-saw or suitable Forstner bit), so this seemed the obvious place for it. The pump is a Whale Gusher Urchin with fixed handle, through-bolted to the timber, with 38mm (1½”) hose running down the angle between knee and hull, through a small round notch in the edge of the floorboard to a strum filter box thing below the grp moulding that supports both front floorboards – just about the lowest point in the boat (except the sump between the mast step and front buoyancy tank, which would be another possible intake point).

So far so good – ironically we haven’t really needed it since I fitted it, but it would have saved a lot of tedious sponging out on the first couple of trips this year, before I solved the leaking self-bailer (incomplete gasket, though supposedly new) and centreboard bolt (not perpendicular to sides of case – the rubber washers stood no chance of taking up that much difference, so I made an extra large, thick washer/seal for either side, with silicone sealant).

It saves carrying a loose bike pump-style bilge pump, and is always to hand. Maybe we should have one on each side…?

Brilliant, thanks. I will go now and have a look. I think i will have to make do with one for now, the bill is increasing rapidly.
    I have already had to fit a new transom and rear deck, two anchors, chain and warp, reefing points and all associated para. a new working and storm jib, outboard and bracket (not new), compasse, major mods to trailer, as well as all the silly bits that add up.
    Just want to go sail now, Ullswater next weekend is looking favourite to make sure all works as it should. Can’t wait! 😛

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.