Latest News: Forums Technical Bilge keels

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • #35861
    John Stewart

    Hello.  I’m new to this forum and to the Wayfarer.  Been doing a bit of maintenance on an old Wayfarer and on lifting out the plywood floor, I discovered that the port side bilge keel (at least that’s what I think they are called) is cracked right through.  This is the spar-like structure that supports the plywood floor.  Is this a critical fracture and is there a repair scheme?

    I am thinking about sandwiching this spar/keel between 2 straps of metal 55cm in length and 5cm wide using epoxy and a few 5mm bolts.

    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you


    Yes they are structural and are important in stiffening the lowest panels off the hull and support the lowest chine. I had exactly this damage and I repaired it to original if not greater strength than as built. Don’t use metal John, it will only concentrate forces at each end of each piece of metal.

    The answer is epoxy resin and woven glass cloth, not chopped strand mat, which is for use with polyester resin. Grind away the damage, tapering the thickness over 150mm either side of the crack then lay up laminations of glass to build back up to the original profile.  Make sure the hull is supported so that you build it back straight, not including any sag due to loss stiffness from the bilge runner.

    John Stewart

    Thank you, Kez, most useful and informative.   I didn’t realise the forces would become concentrated like that if I used plain metal straps.  Cheers.  John

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.