Latest News: Forums Cruising Bifurcating your Floorboards on a Mk2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Fundoctor

Hi All

I saw recently a WF Mk 2 in which the floor boards had been cut in half (just aft of the thwarts). This meant that the owner could access the underfloor space more easily. I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this as it seems potentially a good idea – e.g. I could put second anchor in there or beers

Trevor
    WF9006

admin

Hi Trevor, surprising no one has replied to your query but things have been a bit slow on the forum of late.

My Mark 2, the measurement certificate indicates 1972 vintage, has floor panels in 2 pieces as you describe fore and aft. As Kez is the only Wayfarer I have owned I know no other although I have helped a couple of mates at the sailing club one of whom has replaced his one piece panels with…one piece panels.

In one piece they seem very difficult to handle and with the particularly aggressive non-slip he has used, risks sawing into the gelcoat wriggling them into position under the thwart.

On the other hand my two piece panels are easy to remove and if I had to I could, given smooth conditions remove one or two whilst on the ‘Oggin to retrieve objects that fall down that incredibly annoying gap between the floor and the hull. I tried putting pipe insulation (the sort made of foam with a long split to allow you to fit it on the pipe) over the edges to stop small vital things falling through the gap but I found that it is easily shredded and only lasted a few outings.

The aft piece has a stiffener under the edge that supports the forward piece. I have had no problems with this arrangement.

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Both our Wayfarers have had two-part boards. In one case we had to do some work beneath the boards whilst afloat and with all our cruising gear on board. If we had had one-piece floorboards I don’t know how we would have managed.

In both cases the boards had (AFAIK) always been in two parts, with the join situated over the transverse floor (rib/brace) approximately level with the aft edge of the thwart. The mating edges of the boards are not straight but somewhat interlocking, and are held down with turnbuckles or screws and penny washers.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.