Latest News: Forums General Best Way to Bend

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Swiebertje 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • AUTHOR

dawidcrook
    Participant

Busy restoring a wooden wayfarer. The ‘Righteous Indignation’ (on FB)

I have Mike Smith’s ‘bible’, I have John M’s sagacity but I’m in the mood for sharing the love. What I’m thinking about is what might be the best way to bend the hull planks into shape? Is it Mikes screw,washer and wallpaper steam or is there another less cumbersome one?

Cheers

dawidcrook
    Participant

Another idea is not to steam at all, but to scarf in the fore of the wayfarer and use two laminated 4mm ply which will bend much easier… any thoughts?

Swiebertje
    Participant

Please visit the US and Canadian web sites. There have been a number of Canadian and US sailors that have recently restored their woodies.  I am sure they are willing to answer any question you may have. Also they have written several essays that you may find of interest. Find those on the WIT (Wayfarer Institute of Technology) pages of the Canadian web site.

Another great source of information is Ian Porter of Emsworth. Mr. Porter is a boat builder that knows just about everything there is to know about wooden Wayfarers.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.