Latest News: Forums Cruising Bembrige Cruise

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • AUTHOR
    krgough
    Participant

Hi Cruise fans

I was inspired by some earlier postings about Bembrige to make my first boat tent trip. I hired the association boat tent and we left on Sunday 8th July from Southampton (Netley) passed the Southerns Racing fleet at Warsash – turned right at Portsmouth and entered Bembrige about 4-5 hours after leaving. Bembridge was the one of the few large harbours in the Solent area that I’ve not been to before and I have to say that I’m sorry I haven’t gone before as it’s a really beautiful little harbour. There’s an excellent pub (Camra etc) top beer and loads of seafood – fantastic. No wind on the return today despite the F5 forecast – it hosed down as we came back past Fawley – vis dropped from miles to meters.

At Bembridge we had loads of people looking at the tent and asking what was going on. The solent yachty types are not used to sights like this. We were even asked by one of the owners of a huge motor cruiser if we we re-enacting a victorian round britain voyage… 😆

Here’s some pics…

Beach at Bembridge Entrance

Bembridge Channel

Pontoon 1

Pontoon 2

Tent Interior – Note the tidy stowage – a place for everything and … hmmm yes well…. at least we managed to get all this junk under the foredeck when we were sailing.

Picture at dusk from far sid eof harbour – looking north towards the pontoons – our boat is in the middle of the picture

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great to see this article!

Bembridge is my favoutite spot. I took Naomi there two years ago and had a lovely time. To see the pics you posted was wonderful. I moored Naomi close to where you are.

Did you try the Brading and Haven Yacht Club? A very friendly lot

Jim

Anonymous
    Inactive

That was hot off the press……….great piks…..I can show my wife where I went now ……..

(I found my gunwhale nearly under that pontoon……found fender positioning quite tricky

I think the wind came this afternoon with the sun…….?how did you get back without any wind??its a long way you came!

krgough
    Participant

Hi Dave and Jim

Thanks for your kind replies. Bembridge is now definitely one of my top tips for the solent – I’m surprised it doesn’t get mentioned more. I’ve heard that in previous years the pontoon wasn’t connected to the shore, so you had to get the water taxi – which put some people off going there. Also I suppose the shallow entrance puts off some yachts.

We didn’t have a problem with the gunwhal catching under the pontoon but we had some pretty large fenders which kept us a fair distance off. The pontoon walking surface was a fair height above us but the spans are made from steel joists and perhaps you got caught under the joist edge – see photo below. I moored us with our fenders against the pontoon floats (the grey concrete blocks under the joists) They go all they way into the water so that stopped us slipping underneath.

We didn’t go to the yacht club – although it was recommened by the marina staff – we went to the crab and lobster inn – it’s a bit of a walk along the coast past the lifeboat station – there’s a website I think.

The wind was really light on monday morning – we left at 06:30am to catch the tide going west and we had an hour or so of light winds and then they just faded away, so we motored most of the rest of the way (suzuki 2hp, 2 stroke, 20 years old, inhereted from father) – We arrived around 10:45am – almost low tide but just enough water to get the boat out of the water. The solent on a monday morning at that time of the day is fantastic – we had the whole place to ourselves (apart from a couple of ferries).

We are already thinking of next years trip – I’m thinking about Newtown Creek – recommended by Bob Harland.

Maybe we should have a sail-in and meet in the creek?

regards

Keith

Anonymous
    Inactive

Keith

A man after my own heart!

Wootton and Bembridge are both very lovely. Last year the UKWA sailed to Wootton from Calshot. We had lunch at the Royal Victoria Yacht Club. It was a wonderful day.

Please let me know when you plan to sail to either location, I would be very happy to meet you there or even sail across with you in Naomi. The Crab and Lobster do a great lunch dont they! Where will you sail from?
    The pictures were taken last June, one is from the grounds of the RVYC, the other is the approach to the creek. It was marvelous! Keep in touch

Jim

krgough
    Participant

Hi Jim,

I was on the Wooton cruise. It was great – it’s a really nice venue. We sail from Netley which is up southampton Water a mile or so past the Hamble.

regards

Keith

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Keith and Jim
    Thanks for the further details………one more question Keith….how much fuel did you take………I’m guessing a gallon, ready mixed with oil and you used two thirds…………( as I said I am guessing, but it is a practical issue, bottom line you expected to sail more than you did)

Weren’t conditions perfect on the Sunday. I had the best sail so far this year in Chichester harbour in the afternoon……..wind and sun! Nearly tipped the whole family in………

As for a sail-in I’m hoping one day I might join a rally but 99% of my sailing is young family picnic sailing…………for me if the opportunity arises I would just stick a posting up here of what I was doing 2 or 3 days beforehand, with low expectations of any reaction…………advance planning is not my forte…………….having said that my cunning plan is to escape mid-end sept for part 2 boat-tenting in the Solent

krgough
    Participant

Hi Dave

Spot on – 1 gallon ready mixed – about 2/3 used. Since there was no wind on the way back we wanted to try a beat the low tide by an hour or so to enable us to get the boat out of the water – so we pushed on a bit with the engine.

Sunday was superb – we used the spinniker to get almost all the way to wooton before it dropped and then swung through 180 – really weird.

Monday was really strange – clouds and fast moving showers but no surface wind – very odd.

regards

Keith

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have just returned from my local club here in Abingdon, where they race on the River Thames.

There is the race society, the big boat society and then, there is me! I felt like Robinson Crusoe there tonight!

I sat and watched with a beer in my hand…………..dreaming of the Solent.
    It seems that day sailors are destined to be in a small group of the sailing fraternity.

I think the DCA is a must for the future. Has either of you looked at this organisation?

The picture is me with Naomiat Shipstall Point Poole harbour recently

We must make a plan to sail to Bembridge or something sometime. 🙄

Jim

It’s great to read these enthusiastic reports of Wayfarer cruising – the Solent is certainly a wonderful area to explore with lots of places to visit.
    Regarding Bembridge the UKWA last organised a rally here only 2 years ago in 2005. If anyone would like to consider running another one next year (to Bembridge or any other favourite detination) please contact me.
    John Phillips
    Cruising Sec.
    PS Just came back from the Suffolk Rivers rally. Thirteen Wayfarers on a 2 day boat-tenting cruise with super weather!

krgough
    Participant

Hi Guys

I have looked at the DCA stuff on the web – They seem to thrive on independance – someone “hosts” a venue and the call goes out for anyone who wants to meet up with the host at that venue. I think they mainly sail in on their own as opposed to the fleet events that the UKWA organise.

Part of the buzz for me on this trip was that we could change our mind. I had at least 3 alternative venues in mind depending on the weather and my own inclination – wooton being one -and I really didn’t care which one I ended up in.

regards

Keith

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.