Latest News: Forums Technical battery location

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AUTHOR
    waypad
    Participant

Hello “Farers”, I intend to do more night sailing this year and have fixed up a mast head light with cable running down inside. Would like advice on where to site the small motorcycle battery I have for the job. Pete

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Did you select a spot for the battery, Pete?

waypad
    Participant

Hello Dave, I was thinking of hanging the flanged s/steel battery holder [sealed] from the floorboard just under the thwart area just ahead of the auto bailer which is in easy reach on the port side only. The flange will be flush with the top of the floorboard so the encased battery will be in the bilge.

This will give me reasonable access to the switches for the masthead light already in situ, and also a flexible chart light which may double as the compass light to minimize cables. Thats the idea so far but am always seeking advice. Pete

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

It’s low and central, which is the main thing. I had imagined putting a battery (if we ever had one) just inside the front buoyancy, low down, but haven’t really thought it through in detail. Am I right in thinking that there’s still a possibility of hydrogen venting out of a sealed battery? (That would rule out the buoyancy tank, presumably).

waypad
    Participant

The LED type current take off is so minimal that  the problem is not that serious { I think}, besides, the switch I am making will exhaust whatever may be in the container instantly but is manual so cannot be overlooked. I estimate 8hrs use will be unproblematic. I’m working towards one weeks cruising without recharge and the masthead light has exceeded that by three nights {borrowed m/cycle battery [uncased]}

Swiebertje
    Participant

Seems like more trouble than it is worth.

I use one of those plastic emergency anchor lights. It is a small compact, waterproof unit with a D-cell battery and a light bulb. The unit is not much larger than the D-cell battery it contains. Newer models  may have a LED instead and any chandler should be able to supply one.

The anchor light is simply switched on and hoisted to the mast top. A simple white light is all that is required by law for a boat like a Wayfarer. But just to be sure I also carry a small Maglite torch to shine in to my sails if need be so I am not confused with a boat at anchor. My Maglite torch is made of Titanium and it is waterproof.

In the old days I used to hoist my kerosene lantern in the mast but that now stays near my tent to drive away the mosquitos.

Here is an example, not the same as I have but similar: http://www.bainbridgemarine.com/Item.aspx?Item=PRD-000596&PartNo=P28042

waypad
    Participant

Point taken Swiebertie, but it all seems to be working very well, and was very little trouble in making, so I am free of the hoisting and storage at least. However, time will tell.

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

For anyone planning to fit a masthead light to their Wayfarer there is a short article in the Cruising section, written a few years ago by Bob Harland, which may be of interest. (Link here).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.