• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AUTHOR
    W10143

Admin

Just tried to post an avatar on my profile – got an error message indicating permissions not set for the avatar directory. Couldn’t trap the error text, but are you trying to block Avatars on this forum?

David

Bob Harland
    Participant

We are not deliberately blocking avatars.

Are you uploading the avatar from your local PC or a website?

You could try emailing the avatar to me and I will attempt to load it.

W10143

Bob
    Thanks for the prompt reply. From my computer – a small avatar of ‘Barbie’ from my own computer – winging its way to you immediately.

David

Bob Harland
    Participant

Dave, I am afraid your avatar did not turn up, but anyway I cannot get them to work.
    It would seem to be a problem with our service provider, if we get it resolved then I will let yo know.

Anonymous
    Inactive

David, as you can see avatars are now working.

G.ORilla

How can I reduce my avatar in size (file size)? Mine is too big but works on other forums. A quick “how to” I think would be very useful for others as well.

Thanks in advance – back to work!

W10143

Hi

I had to reduce mine from a modest 8K to less than 6k. Opened the original in Paintshop Pro (Evaluation copy free download), reduced resolution by 1%, cut size by 3mm and lo and behold only 3k size!

David

RayS

After tearing hair out this is what I found….

1) Set pixel size to 80 x 80 max. (If rectangular then the biggest side must be 80) So to get the largest avatar you need a square picture.

2) Max file size 6KB

3) Actual image dimensions makes no difference (i.e. cm/inches)

3) There are three allowable formats jpg, png, gif

4) I found with Photoshop it was practically impossible to create a jpeg smaller than 6K. The easiest file format to get small enough was gif. (Switch off transparency)

After that it is easy!
    Ray

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.