Latest News: Forums Technical Attaching block for kicker to Mk 2 GRP

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • AUTHOR
    fundoctor
    Participant

Hi Farers

I shelled out £150 to upgrade my previous very basic kicker system. I have two triple blocks by the mast going back to two blocks on the tabernacle and the lines split going back to the thwart on each side. To angle the lines up to the thwarts I have deck eyes with blocks on either side, low down on the centreboard case – quite near the boards.

My question. Said block on LHS has already ripped out. Just screwing into the GRP is not enough. Need to find a firm way of attaching. Wondered to bolt through to plates but the angles are difficult.

Any Mk2 sailors already solved this?

Cheers

Trevor

WF9002

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Here’s a photo of part of Trevor’s kicker:-

rszemeti
    Participant

I would take the line out of the kicker to a turning block (ie a cheek block) on the outside of the tabernacle, at a height just below that of the thwart, then just let the line run alongside the centreboard case, back to the thwart, avoiding the need for any intermediate blocks along the centreboard case altogether.

If you locate the cleats under the thwart, inverted, you don’t compromise comfort of the crew, and can still cleat the lines easily, just remembering to pull towards the floor to uncleat them.

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

I broadly agree with ‘rszemeti’, but would just add that anyone considering sleeping on their Wayfarer will need to be wary of reducing legroom by adding fittings under the thwart. GRP thwarts usually have just about enough width on the vertical ‘lip’ to mount a small cleat, with or without a wooden mounting pad, so just find a position that works for your kind of sailing.

fundoctor
    Participant

Guys I have already mutilated the aft surface of my thwart with a cam cleat angled to receive a line from near floor level so I want to stick with that positioning. Of what I have heard the best solution seems to be to attach the block to the floor board close as possible to the side to avoid space issues for sleepers. Do you think x2 penny washers on each side (of the floor board) might do the job in terms of strength?

With many thanks

Trevor

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

I wouldn’t be put off the high route by the cleat – ours is on the aft face of the thwart at an angle, but the wire lead at the ‘back’ of the cleat deals with the change of direction quite well, to the cheek block under the thwart near the cb case. Then it’s more or less straight route forward to the tabernacle.

However, if the floorboards are really well secured in place and the new block won’t interfere with sailing/sleeping etc then through-bolting with some kind of backer will probably be fine, I would think. A good opportunity to overhaul your ‘boards and their fixing method.

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Here’s a photo (attempted post) of one of Shearwater’s kicker cleats on the aft face of the thwart, showing the wire guide changing the angle of pull along the thwart to a cheek block near the cb case:-

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.