Latest News: Forums Cruising asymmetric spinnaker

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • AUTHOR

I love sailing my mkIV either on my own, with friends or with my two teenagers. We have no desire to race but simply enjoy being out on the water. Now we’ve been sailing for a couple of seasons with this boat, I am wondering if I should invest in a spinnaker. Could I please have some advice about the pros and cons of spinnakers. Would a spinnaker be worth the extra performance? Are the sail, bowsprit and sheets likely to make the boat too cluttered for cruising?

Mark Foreman
    Participant

I’m watching this thread this interest because we’re in a similar position – had a MK IV for a season and sailed a lot, but using the spinnaker is on this year’s ‘to do’ list for the first time. However, one thing that I have picked up is that the symmetric spinnaker does not need a bowsprit and so would not impact on stowage space under the foredeck during cruises. Do you have any particular need for the asymmetric version? I’ve heard they are not as effective on a Wayfarer as on other dinghies, but am happy to be advised further…

nickgiles
    Participant

Hi,
    We have an asymmetrical spinaker on an old World. Great for a bit of excitement when day sailing, easy to gybe and easy to set. Not as efficient as a symmetrical on a dead run but in the right conditions extremely fast, also great when the wind drops and you are coasting back in the setting sun with this huge sail drawing gently. But for cruising you lose out on under deck storage and can ship water through the bowsprit hole. Probably best to try out both types before making a decision. It will depend on your priorities and crewe ability. Good luck. Nick. LizzieB 9922

John1162

I had a World fitted with an asymetric spinnaker. It was good fun in a blow. We had a genuine 13+ knots over half a mile or so. When racing with the asymetric we lost out to conventional spinnakers. For cruising I fitted a conventional spinnaker. Down wind we roll the genoa away and get a much better view forward under the spinnaker.

Swiebertje
    Participant

Asymetrics are not allowed during races. See our class rules.

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

I’m confused. What does this mean then?

“UKWA: Wayfarer World Asymmetric: As of 31 Jan 2001, the UKWA has given dispensation for asymmetric-rigged Wayfarer Worlds to compete with Spinnaker boats using Traditional Rig.”

John1162

Originally all asymetric rigged boats were banned from all racing. The rule was changed so that as long as the asymetric pole was fixed, inboard, the boat could race. Obviously the asymetric spinnaker could not be used but a conventional spinnaker could.
    Some clubs allow asymetrically rigged spinnakers to race with the asymetric spinnaker. This is a local ruling and does not apply to UKWA or International events.

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Ah – so in fact the UKWA has given dispensation for asymmetric-rigged Wayfarer Worlds using Traditional Rig to compete with Spinnaker boats.

John1162

Yep. They will have to measure of course.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.