Latest News: Forums Technical Arrangements for rigging centre mainsheet

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Steve Fraser
    Participant

I’ve just bought a lovely second hand Mk4. The dude was old school and prefered this with an aft rigged mainsheet which for me is totally weird. I’ve got most of the bits, but am lacking a diagram showing the optimal setup. Can anyone provide a diagram of how it should be set up . Additional info about optimal location for blocks etc would also be useful.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello Steve, depending on the sort of sailing you intend to do the aft mainsheet has its place, Frank Dye always used it that way…

I have Centre main however, here is how I have mine rigged.

My mainsheet end is clipped onto a boom slider near the end of the boom, then down under a block tied to the bridle which is tied on to a very strong point at each end of the transom. Rising from the bridle block the mainsheet rises and passes over a block on the boom slightly forward of the transom, travels along the underside of the boom, through a couple of plastic rings to prevent it sagging down and strangling me, over a another block above the back of the c/b case and thence under a swivel block mounted on a swivelling arm jammer with camcleat on the end of the arm.

I attach a sketch showing what I describe. Be warned the bits can be quite expensive,  I use Harken hardware but Allen and Ronstan stuff is not much cheaper.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Let’s try to add that sketch…

Nick Collingridge
    Participant

I know this is very much a novice question, but as someone who has a Wayfarer with an aft mainsheet and a traveller, is part of the point of rigging the mainsheet this way, with a centre main, that the harder you pull on the sheet, the higher up the bridal it rises enabling you to point the boat better without having to adjust the traveller?

Further to the above, with a mainsheet rigged in this way how do you adjust things so that the boom is more to windward if you want to point even closer to the wind – or is this something that one should never want to do anyway for aerodynamic or other reasons?

I apologise in advance if my question is very obvious, but although a keen sailor I have never raced my Wayfarer or, for many years, any other dinghy, so the finer details of trim are somewhat alien to me!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.