Latest News: Forums Technical Any recommendations for online chandlery ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AUTHOR
    bfennema

Dear fellow Wayfarers,

I need to get some small pieces for my recent purchase (+S, W9252) and living in Ireland I was wondering if any of you could recommend a good online site with reasonable delivery.

Some parts such as floor board “buttons” would be Wayfarer specific, others are general such as selection of cam cleat springs and some clevis pins, shock cord, clam cleat etc.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Best regards and happy sailing !

Boris.

Bob Harland
    Participant

The best website I have found is Northampton Sailboats
    http://www.sailboats.co.uk/

I also refer to the manufacturers websites for detail product information.
    Northampton Sailboats usually include the manufacturers reference so this is easy.

bfennema

Many thanks. that looks like a very useable site.

I will check what other pieces I need and get a basket together !

Boris.

Boris,

Trident are very good – they have a Wayfarer specific section and if you call them there are peolple who know Wayfarers.

For some very specific items Porters are the best source.

Gordon
    Hon Sec
    Bray Sailing Club!

Boris,

Trident are very good – they have a Wayfarer specific section and if you call them there are peolple who know Wayfarers.

For some very specific items Porters are the best source.

Gordon
    Hon Sec
    Bray Sailing Club!

bfennema

Gordon,

Thanks for that – it may come to a call to Porters for a floor board “button” – not essential, but something I would replace this autumn I think.

Failing that I can make that myself perhaps out of marine ply – I will take a closer look at it.

Thanks again, and see you around Bray Harbour !

Best regards.

Swiebertje
    Participant

AFAIK the following chandlers carry Wayfarer specials:

Porter Brothers
    Pinnell & Bax
    Trident
    Boats ‘n Bits
    John Parker Boats
    Seamark Nunn

The list goes on and on but those are the ones that seem to pop-up on top every time.

Porter’s floorboard turnbuckles today are made of aluminum 1/4 inch strip. Get some from your local DIY shop and pay pennies not pounds. If you rather want to get the old style brass turnbuckles, several of the chandlers above still stock them.

The aluminium strip is easy to cut to length with a metal saw or a hobby knife. Then drill and countersink a hole in the middle. Finally do what Porter’s always forgets, round the ends with a file. The fixed part is best made from some left over pieces of Trespa (a very hard and tough sort of plastic, available from any DIY shop). The alternative is plywood, obviously it has to be painted or varnished thoroughly. Lock the screws in place with some epoxy. The whole shaboom shouldn’t cost more then a few pennies if you are creative with left over materials. “It ain’t rocket sience” as our American friends would put it.

bfennema

Many thanks for the good advice – appreciate it. I am slowly ramping up to maintenance mode over the autumn.

Boris.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.