Latest News: Forums Cruising Another way of thinking about safety

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Andrew Morrice
    Participant

Hi Folks

friend of mine just posted this on F-book and although its written from a mountaineering and kayaking perspective I think its useful in the way it looks at safety from the point of view of ‘systems’ and ‘margin’: sounds a bit dry but the guy plainly knows what he’s on about even though he’s never been sailing.

http://www.explore-mag.com/Gadds_Truth_Have_a_Margin

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Hi Andrew,

It’s an interesting topic, and one that should be thought-provoking to anyone who cruises a Wayfarer.

I remember another article that I felt was particularly relevant, in which the writer criticised the term ‘safety equipment’ for things like buoyancy aids, masthead floats, flares etc, persuading us instead to think of a well-found boat and an alert, self-critical crew as the primary safety equipment.

A few days ago we had to wait to launch our boat because a power boater was blocking the slipway due to a flat starting battery. I muttered to the owner of a third boat nearby something about a second means of propulsion, which was received with blank looks. I explained that this was one reason for us carrying paddles, to which the reply was that “not everyone has a paddle”. This seems a lame excuse in a boat with an engine costing as much as a pretty decent used car. I didn’t ask about anchors…

Whichever way you look at it, safety enables you to have fun without avoidable bad things happening  What’s not to like?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.