Latest News: Forums Technical Anchor Warp Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Fundoctor

‘Farers

Kitting out for sea cruising. Have Danforth anchor on 2m of 6mm galvanised steel chain. Looking to buy anchor warp. Thinking of 30metres of three strand nylon in a dark colour. All thicknesses available but 10mm seems about right.

Views on these plans appreciated – type, length, thickness etc. Also, anywhere particularly cheap?

Trevor
    W9002

Swiebertje
    Participant

Consensus seems to be that your warp needs to be 5 times the depth to safely anchor for a prolonged period. So what is the deepest you intend to anchor?

Fundoctor

Swiebertje

Just below low water on a beach so maybe 6m maximum – hence thinking 30m.

Trevor

Fundoctor

Particularly interested in the thickness of warp people are using

Maybe check out this thread if you’ve not done so already –

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1031

I’ve finally got round to upgrading – I went for 50m of 8mm 3 strand nylon plus 4m of 6mm chain and a new Bruce 2.5kg anchor. Not used it yet but hope to be trying it out very soon.

Jonathan

Swiebertje
    Participant

– 25 meter 8 mm 3 strand nylon on a drum.
    – 5 meter chain
    – Aluminium Fortress anchor.

I have used this combination many times over the last ten years and and I still love the low weight of it.

The weight of the anchor is not important, but the weight of the chain is. Check how the anchor digs in. This can be easily be tested on a beach or in a sandpit. Pull the anchor horizontally with a rope and see how it behaves in the sand. This was how the different behaviour of various types of anchors was demonstrated at the rally conference.

Instead of a chain a weight, a couple of feet away from the anchor works well too. Such a weight, like a chain, ensures the anchor is pulled parallel to the sea floor at all times.

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

I would go for 8mm nylon – in fact I have done. I’ve actually got a 220m roll of the stuff (white) as it was cheaper like that, but only if I sell some, so if anyone wants some I can probably oblige.

Fundoctor

Sorry Dave – decided to go of a dark colour – 8mm seems like the job and 30metres for my purposes – thanks guys

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.