Latest News: Forums Technical Adjustable Mainsheet Bridle

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Pete Smith

Hi guys,
    Just getting back into sailing again after 10 years away. Waiting for my brand new Racing Wayfarer MK4 to come out of the can into the mould and really looking forward to picking up from Hartleys in March.

I was a reasonable club racer in the 90s and hope to get myself back up to speed once the new season starts in the Spring.

I would like some advise on how to use an adjustable mainsheet bridle. No idea at all.
    So advise for numpties greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Pete

Fantasia

The adjustable mainsheet bridle is used instead of a traveller. The adjustment, not surprisingly, is to get its length correct. If the strops are too long, then it might be difficult to get the boom on the centreline; if too short then centrelining is no problem, but too much leach tension might be applied, particularly in light winds. The kicker should be used to achieve the correct leach tension and the mainsheet adjusts the boom angle. Applying kicker varies the length of the strop as does the adjusting the mast rake, hence the need for adjustment. In practice it is rare to need to adjust the bridle once the rig has been set-up for the prevailing conditions of the day. Hope that this helps.

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Pete welcome back!
    The strop when long brings the block on the boom close to the block on the strop which means it is on or near the centreline without any downward pull on the boom or sails leach.

This is good for light winds and when you look at it from the rear of the boat your see that the pull on the mainsheet is from the windward side quarter.

When the strop is shorter or near the transom, the mainsheet length between the boom and the strop block becomes longer.

This then lets the boom and sail fall away to leeward and the pull comes more from the centerline of the boat which is better in stonger winds as it is nor from the windward side and pulling the boat over.

Pete, with all the boats on the market today, what brought you back to the Wayfarer. I have a good idea but?

Pete Smith

Thanks guys.
    Nice bit of help. Suppose trick is getting balance right between kcker and bridle settings. But blocks together in light and apart in heavy is a good start.

Why did I come back to Wayfarer?
    Well was quite a big decision really. Had tried out RSVision and Topper Xenon and Laser2000, all much cheaper than Wayfarer, but no class fleet to speak of at most of the Norfolk clubs.
    Richard Hartley, I suppose did good job in convincing me Wayfarer was the one. RS Topper and Laser were not really interested in me and my questions, but just interested in shifting another block of plastic.
    Boat will be used for getting my teenage kids and wife from complete novices to decent sailors and Wayfarer is a super stable boat for that.
    Also think MK 4 looks the part. Hartleys have done a cracking job modernising the whole thing. And even though we haven’t collected yet, the whole buying experience has been super.

So there you have it.
    Cheers
    Pete

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Thanks Pete, Your words are just what the class all around is finding from new, returning and current owners.

Phil Morrison I think has done a great job on the boat,it looks so much more up to date and
    Richard and Mark make a good solid boat that I think should last like others in the past fifty years have done.

We have ten new boats at our club in Poole, all very keen to race each other in the same type of Wayfarer which will I think bring a new, level playing field for the class.

Enjoy your new toy,we will all be doing just that in Poole when it gets warmer! Your welcome to join us if you fancy a family holiday or race in our Regatta.

CP

Pete Smith

Hi Colin
    Just picked up you’re sailing at Poole.
    Now here’s a spooky story. My wife, Rachel, put my old boat number W9592 into google and it came up as being sailed by another Pete Smith at Poole!!
    Cool
    Take Care
    Pete

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

I did wonder if our Pete Smith was asking about Mk 1v sailing having not told us he had ordered one,could still happen as 9592 is up for sale.
    If you come to Parkstone any time, I will tell you the Parkstone David’s story which is in the class folklaw here.
    CP

Pete Smith

Could have had my old boat back!!!!
    Would have been cheaper than new one. LOL
    Pete

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.