Latest News: Forums General About wetsuits

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Swiebertje
    Participant

After surviving a heart attack, stopping with smoking, compensating with sweets, and maturing in general I have come to the point in life where wisdom overcomes a youngsters enthusiasm. The latest wisdom I gained was that neoprene material is subject to shrinkage, specially in the waist area. Anyway, my matured body needs a new wetsuit. All the well known brands seem to have a ‘one size fits all’ approach leaving me with a much too wide suit in the chest area and length-wise, or with a suit that fits snugly except for the zipper that cannot be closed without applying lethal force.

The English are well known for their made to measure clothes. I have to visit the UK for work soon and plan to visit one of those shops to have my measurements taken. To avoid going on a wild goose chase, perhaps one of the English audience present on this forum can recommend me a good shop for a ‘made to measure’ dinghy wetsuit? Preferably between the Midlands and South Wales areas, as that will be the region I will be traveling.

While we are on the subject what materials do you prefer in Summer and in Winter?
    Do you prefer a separate summer and winter suit or do you prefer a summer suit with a titanium top for Winter?
    Other options?
    What details are important for a Wayfarer wetsuit? (re-enforced bum and knees, key pocket, etc.).

Let’s start a thread on wetsuits since there is very little information on the Internet about combining various thermal and water repelling tops with wetsuits. What do you prefer, if wearing a wetsuit?

tempest51

Swiebertje,

Someone highly recommended the following company to me,for high quality made to measure gear, but I’m not sure if they make wetsuits..http://www.hammond-drysuits.co.uk/sailing-dry-suits.html

Swiebertje
    Participant

Thank you Termpest51, I think I have seen that site before, following my request for made-to-measure dry suits some time ago. Discussions with other sailors, particularly Laser sailors for whom capsizing is a way of life, or so it seems, learned me that modern wet suits with titanium tops (what ever they are?) are just as good if not better then dry suits, for the simple reason a dry suit becomes useless when it has some small damage. For safety reasons they told me to look for a wet suit instead. The only problem is they are athletic and in their twenties, I used to be like that too, many years ago…..

What do you guys think a Wayfarer should wear in cold rough weather?

tempest51

Swiebertje,

Do you think sailing waders make sense? Then at least you can wear a waterproof top and other layers, things should then be more comfortable, especially if you have to get your feet wet to launch or retrieve the boat. You could always have a special mount fixed on deck to display one of your more superhero-style photos from your youth…in case any ignorant bystanders dare to even smirk at new look and modern titanium man! 😛

Fantasia

During the summer, I wear a combination of 3/4 length hiking pants (Rooster Classic) and a semi dry top (Rooster) with a variety of base layers. I find that this suits my 1.93m 100kg frame. When it is very cold I wear a dry suit, but it is a real struggle to get into or out of.

Swiebertje
    Participant

You are referring to this lot: rooster? Nice site nice products ❗ (triple-X 😛 ).

tempest51

Fantasia,

Do the hiking pants act like a wetsuit if you go in?

Fantasia

Yes that is the correct site for Rooster. Their shop is just down the road for me.

The secret with hiking pants is not to get them too large, they need to have a fairly tight fit (I wear size M). They do act like a wetsuit but they leave the top of your body exposed, hence the need for a dry top, which is slightly different to a spray top as it seals around the waist, wrists and neck and therefore keeps you dry during a capsize – hopefully!

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

I too would like to hear about the wet suits made with Titanium, Do they work ??

Another point, why do all the spray tops today, only allow for the aid to be outside ??
    I have sailed for years with it under the top so as to not let the spi pole get under it in a gybe!

CP

Anonymous
    Inactive

Titanium wetsuits do work, ask any windsurfer. In fact, windsurfers are probably better placed to advise on wetsuits than anybody. Even the hotshots seem to spend an awful lot of time in the drink. It may be significant, however, that a number of our windsurfing members of, er, mature years have espoused drysuits.
    Trident drysuits seem to be good value and they can rehash them to suit those whose physique tends towards garden gnome proportions.
    I would respectfully suggest that it comes down to price and which you find most comfortable. There must be a point when your response to immersion in cold water is down to age and fitness; what you’re wearing becomes academic.
    Of course, Wayfarer sailors have both the craft and the skills to avoid immersion…
    But I digress. Here’s my point: please, please, put up with the odd snag and wear your bouyancy aid outside everything. People don’t have handles, and trying to haul a big bloke in a slippery wetsuit over the side of a safety boat is a nightmare.

Swiebertje
    Participant

I tend to look at it from the sunny side, or as my wife expresses it: There is an awful lot of you to love!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.