Latest News: Forums Introductions A Wayfarer newcomer

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Alasdair Smith
    Participant

I am a newcomer to sailing and I have bought myself a Wayfarer (2511). I was a bit daunted when I took charge of it, but the UK Wayfarer site has put my mind at rest, so thank you for this site and those who contribute to it.
    I was wondering if members could suggest any preparations I should make so I can sail on a freshwater Loch near Glasgow.

john1162
    Participant

Hi Alasdair,

do you mean boat preparation or self preparation?

Alasdair Smith
    Participant

Both actually.  I am not anticipating being in the water as it’s quite a protected stretch of water and I’m a cautious beginner. But if you’ve any recommendations for clothing please let me know. Otherwise, Ive got the essential equipment required to sail the boat, it’s just that I have that nagging feeling mI need to know more, or have more equipment.

Jerome FR – W447
    Participant

Welcome aboard!

Why did you feel in love with a Wayfarer?
    Do you have the boat history?
    Is it in good condition, or does it need some care before going back on the water?
    Do not hesitate to share with us some pictures.

Best regards.
    Jérôme

Alasdair Smith
    Participant

Thanks for this Jerome,

for a long time I have wanted to sail and the Wayfarer was where I gained my very limited experience, so it was natural for me to return to it.
    I bought the boat on Gumtree from someone in whom I had faith that he had really cared for it and spent quite some money on it. The boat is on hard- standing and I’ll be going along to the club after new year when I will get, and post, some photos of it.

Jerome FR – W447
    Participant

Good news!
    Happy Christmas holidays to you all!

john1162
    Participant

Alasdaire,

The very best advice I can give you is you need to attend the Cruising Conference 25 – 27 March at Rutland Water. I know it sounds rather grand but it isn’t. It is a packed programme of demonstrations and talks all to do with sailing your Wayfarer and all the things you need to take with you. This is an event you can go to time after time and always come away knowing something new. One of the unwritten benefits is being able to talk to people who have been sailing a Wayfarer for years and have made all the mistakes sometimes more than once! You will meet people who are at the top of their game and who have made many testing voyages as well as taking their families out for a sail and a picnic. Last year the conference had to be a virtual conference and the videos are still available in the Wayfarer shop. 2021 Cruising Conference Admission* – UK Wayfarer Association.  

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.