Latest News: Forums Technical A fresh water mystery…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • AUTHOR

I was out in my World last week, first time in quite a while. As usual, I had tipped the boat backwards to drain any water out through the transom bung (she has a history of leaks, and she had been sat bow-down for a while). After a short sail, I heard water sloshing inside as I pulled her up the slip. Not unusual in itself, like I say she’s a leaky boat. However when I tipped the boat back to let the water drain, something made me check the water streaming from the transom bung: it was fresh!

I’m now thoroughly confused. I had tipped the boat back to drain all the rainwater out before sailing, and then after sailing (on the sea, I should point out) several litres of fresh water had miraculously appeared inside her again.

What on Earth is going on? I’m wondering if the internal structure of the World is quite complicated. Perhaps the fresh water is sloshing around between different compartments and evading my attempts to drain it?

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

I would say you have hit it on the head, the water was inside the tank from a leak above which could be fittings or a hatch in the floor near the bow( When the boat was stored bow down)

You may have got out one lot of water before you sailed but sometimes with the complicated bulkheads and beams under the floor you may not have got it all.

The sail may have moved more water to the rear end of the boat and so it found its way out after.

How much water was on top of the floor when you got to the boat( or was it all in the tanks under the floor?? ) if it had a level of water, maybe that level was just short of the leaking hole and so you may be pointed to the offending item thats letting water into the under floor!
    The Joys of Boat Owning!!

I could well believe the fresh water is getting in through the floor hatch in the bow tank. But I know that the boat also takes in seawater, probably in the area of the self bailer wells. So whilst stopping the leaks is obviously a worthy aim, in the short term I would like to be able to get the water out of the tanks more easily so I can get sailing without lugging all this water with me every time I launch. The perils of sealed bouyancy chambers!

I’m considering installing two inspections hatches in the cockpit floor, either side of the centreboard casing. This would let me reach the lowest part of the boat so that I could pump out the water (or so I hope). It would also give me some access to the inside of the underfloor buoyancy close to the bailer wells, so that I can try repairing the leaks there.
    My worry is that I might compromise the structure of the boat. Is there any way to tell whereabouts of bulkheads or stffening ribs/beams?

I see that you can get a USB borescope on eBay for about £15- that might be worth a punt I guess 🙂 but a structural plan of the World would be better!

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Can I ask why you do not store the boat with the bow up to drain this water whatever type it is out the bungs at the transom?
    Also, could the hatch be better near the centreboard bolt area, see if this is an area were water could be coming in and take the bailers out and tackle the leak between the two skins around the bailer holes in the hull.
    Id do that first before the hatches, if it then works your have less need for a hatch in the floor!
    Sometimes a stone can go up the side of the centreboard in the box and punch a hole in the box side, out of site until you take the centreboard out.

Cp

nickgiles
    Participant

Hi,
    We had a very similar problem with our World. There was leak between the bailers and the double skin. If you tricked water from a hose into the scuppers it disappeared inside the hull at a rate of knots! So if rainwater got under the cover the bilge water was fresh on the other hand on a wet sail we could pick up several gallons of sea water. Ian Porter sorted out the leaks for us. Good luck!
    Nick 9922 LizzieB

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.