Latest News: Forums Technical A few questions on centre main hardwear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • AUTHOR

Hello

I have now decided to convert my boat to centre main , i know what thye setup should look like and how to do it etc. But i have a few questions on what hardwear i should buy on a budget . As my boat will not be raced or long distance cruised i have ecided that lovely harken gear would be wasted on me and would break an already broken bank , so could som one please advise me on what tyoe of block do i need eg size and if plain bearing will be ok , also could any one advise a buget ratchet block ? Thanks

Swiebertje
    Participant

For a low budget solution, follow the link given in this message: http://wayfarer.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=878&p=5290#p5290

Yes i have seen thaat link , but could i use somthing along the lines of this http://shop.pinbax.com/index.asp?selection=detailed&uid=33912&itemtitle=Single%20Stand%20up%20Block%20Size%204 because i never cleat the main when sailing also what size should the blocks on the boom and bridal / mainsheet track ?

Swiebertje
    Participant

@wayfarer5560 wrote:

Yes i have seen thaat link , but could i use somthing along the lines of this http://shop.pinbax.com/index.asp?selection=detailed&uid=33912&itemtitle=Single%20Stand%20up%20Block%20Size%204 because i never cleat the main when sailing also what size should the blocks on the boom and bridal / mainsheet track ?

Sure, I used to have one exactly like that. And because it utterly failed on me while sailing the Kattegat, I never ever want to have anything from Barton on my boat again.

Oh i am sorry to hear that , but would somthing like that (not from barton) be ok ?

Swiebertje
    Participant

@wayfarer5560 wrote:

Oh i am sorry to hear that , but would somthing like that (not from barton) be ok ?

LOL

Really keen racers don’t use a cleat, they want to feel the pull of the sail at all times. A swivel cleat would only be expensive ballast and for that reason top racers tend to use a ratchet block only. At the very least use blocks with ball bearings so the friction is minimized and the “feel” is optimized. Without a cleat consider using a (auto) ratchet block if you intend to sail in strong winds. A ratchet block takes some of the load off your hands. The ratchet in a normal ratchet block has to be switched on or off by hand, an auto ratchet block kicks in automatically above a factory preset load.

If you are on a tight budget, why not visit some of the countless boat jumbles that are held this time of the year? AFAIK almost every club has one.

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Another view from a racer,
    I like and use a mainsheet swivel jammer with cleat and also a on/off ratchet block ?

Why? Well a cleat is very usefull to put the main in when I pull up the spinaker as i use two hands to help the crew and hoist so no way do i let the main out to do nothing.

The on / off type ratchet is the only one I use on the main and the genoa sheets.
    I have had two types of auto,s and both failed on me and did not last too long for the money, so on/off for me only.
    Also in light winds the ratchet when on not only holds the sheets when i dont want them too but that clicking drives me mader than a box of frogs,so i turn that noise off till we need the help!

Ebay sometimes has Harken gear forsale !

C P

Swiebertje
    Participant

True words Collin and don’t forget that a jammer also allows us to open a beer can occasionally 😆

Thanks for your help guys ,
    I think i will opt for the on/off ratchet with no jammer , also could you suggest a size for the blocks on the boom ? would 45mm be the right sort of size ?

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

You could go down to a 26mm as long as your mainsheet rope runs freely in it?
    prob a 8mm rope is the biggest for that block.

C P

Bob Harland
    Participant

If you check the manufacturers website they will give maximum rope diametre for the sheave size;
    e.g. Harken Hexaratchets 57mm sheave gives max rope 10mm
    That’s a maximum rope diametre, personally I find these blocks perform well on dia 8mm rope.
    bob

Just one more quick question , what swl should i need for the blocks on the boom and the final block on the swivel base ? 200kg ?

Bob Harland
    Participant

200kg is plenty.
    bob

Ok thanks Bob

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.