Latest News: Forums Racing 3 Rivers Race 2010

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all,

Last weekend saw the running of the 3 Rivers Race for the 50th time.

A massive 176 boats entered, which included 12 Wayfarers. First wayfarer home completed the course in approx 12 hours and came 10th overall.

Most of us stayed out overnight and returned in a group around 0615 Sunday morning.

We finished 97th overall but still pleased with that as we always start knowing we arent going to win but want to do well. We were 5th in class.

I have just done a write up for the Norfolk Broads Forum which I will reproduce here if you want.

Just one question. We have always struggled going going to windward. Reaching and downwind are not a problem and we normally pull away from others. How can we improve on the windward sections?

Thanks

Gary

Bob Harland
    Participant

Gary, If you would like to send me a report I will post it on the website, photos appreciated.
    thanks
    bob

webmaster@wayfarer.org.uk

Fantasia

@GaryCantley wrote:

Just one question. We have always struggled going going to windward. Reaching and downwind are not a problem and we normally pull away from others. How can we improve on the windward sections?

Thanks

Gary

To answer this it would be helpful if you could tell us a bit more about your boat (what Mk. is it?), its sails and particularly how it is rigged. I am guessing that your problem would mainly be in how the rig is set-up.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Where to start!!

The boats we use, have tried to different hulls, are Scout boats. Mainly used for teaching.

They are, I think, Mk II.

We do have racing sails although these are now getting on in years they are still very reasonable quality.

Jib is tensioned on a highfield lever.

Mainsheet is aft main.

Shrouds are pinned at 4th hole down on the rear.

Have I missed something obvious?

We only enter 2 races a year, the 3RR and BBB (Buckenham to Breydon and back) which is approx 25 miles in length.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Please ignore the above.

I now have my hands on a rig tensioning gauge and some very good instructions to follow first.

I may be back if they dont work. 😆

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.