Latest News: Forums Technical 2nd Reef Line Rigging.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • AUTHOR

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best way to introduce a second reefing line to the boom?

My experience has shown that a second reef is essential for cruising and as such I have had one put in the sail. However the boom is only fitted for an outhaul and one reefing line down its length, with two pulleys at the back end of the boom (it is a Selden boom as supplied by Porters).

As re-tying reefing lines is difficult at the best of times, and not a good idea when trying to put a reef in on the move, I need to add an extra reef line. I have thought about extending my outhaul line and using that with an extra block on the boom at the appropriate point and thus using the outhaul or second reef as most appropriate. But this does limit flexibility over a longer period.

Are ther any better ways?

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

If you’re happy to use an externally-mounted reefing line then that’s your easiest method. It’s fairly self-explanatory, but worth spending time to get the positions of the blocks carefully worked out. As with the first reef you need to maintain tension in the foot of the sail as well as the leech, so perhaps somewhere in the region of a 45 degree pull.

Depending on how you deal with the luff cringle (line or “ramshorn”/hook) you may need to fit a second extra line.

You also need to consider the siting of the various cleats, so route the line(s) carefully.

Good luck.

Bob Harland
    Participant

A photo of your boom and fittings would clarify things,
    but from what you say you already have enough pulleys. As you only need one pulley per reefing line.

the fixed end of the reefing line is simply secured to an additional mainsheet slider (i.e. the fitting that sits in the track on the underside of the boom). This has the advantage that you can fine tune the position (without drilling holes). In fact I have seen the pulley secured to this as well on a short lanyard – so you don’t need to drill any holes.

Of course you will need a second cleat on the boom somewhere near to the gooseneck

Bob,

Sadly I think my boom does not have as many pulleys as you might think – see photo attached. After inspection I intend to run a reef line on the port side of the boom from a cleat by the goose neck directly to a pulley attached to a slide eye as suggested and then through the reef clew eye back to the slider, assuming this does not overload the pully. If not, how easy is it to refit the rear boom fitting for one with an extra pulley?

Bob Harland
    Participant

Adrian, yes you will need another pulley/block.

I have not seen your arrangement before with the fittings on the top face of the boom, if they are riveted then they should be okay. Self tappers have a habit of corroding and then falling out after a few years. That’s another advantage of using the slider under the boom – very strong.
    You may find that you can use the existing eye without the block/pulley to fasten a second pulley to, then use 2 sliders under the boom to take the fixed ends. Just see how the angles work out.

If that does not work, you can fit a flying block (on a short lanyard) from the slider, or a cheek block on the side of the boom.

Bob,

All is as supplied by Porters in 2005 and I think they are self tappers (not with the boat at the moment). Looks like a quick trip to the chandlers lies in my future!

Thank you

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Adrian,
    Never seen this set up before. My first though is that the near vertical pull on the fittings is far less strong than as Bob suggests, adding two new slides in the track under the boom.
    What arrangement have you got at the front of the boom?

Matt,

the front is as shown in this photo. The lines come out through a drilled hole (on a slant) and through the cleat. They then lead forward to the pulleys for extra purchase. Outhaul is on the bottom and 1st reef on the Stbd side. All attached by self-tappers as you can see.

All is as supplied by Porters!

The stern end bits are self tapping as well.

Looks like a slightly longer trip to the chandlers then!

Anonymous
    Inactive

In my experience trips to the chandlers are never ending! I speed things up by ordering online now.
    How do you hold down the luff cringle?

Matt,

Normally the luff is held in place by a pin through the front end of the boom fitting. There is a small (and frankly not very efficient) single cow horn on the stbd side for the reef cringles. I lower the main, place the cringle on the cow horn and then retension the main when reefing.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It passes the test of being nice and simple though and I suspect will hold the sail in towards the mast OK.

It is simple and it does work; it holds the sail as far forward as possible without tying it to he mast. I think it is the standard set up on the front of the procter boom – see bit of photo chopped off before.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Interesting, not seen one of the new boom fittings before. I thread a hook on my tack pin.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.