Latest News: Forums Technical 2:1 purchase on genoa sheeting system

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Does anyone have some advice, or better photos, of a good 2:1 purchase system for sheeting in the genoa. I am looking for the best sizes of blocks/jammers etc and sheet diameter. Also interested in what and how to attach the blocks on the clew and to improve the current basic fairlead system.

Its for a Mark1 woodie (8454) which currently has inboard tracks and basic fairlead plus jammer ( RWO, I think). My eldest daughter is 13, keen(ish) to crew in local club races but finds the current 1:1 system too hard to manage.

Thanks in advance for any contributions!

Matthew

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Have you given thought to having ratchet blocks instead ??

They are in common use on Wayfarers and do not need all that rope to go round the mast each tack.

Also those horrid blocks that will be flying around in heavy winds fills me with dread for your daughters head.

You may think about using a midi genoa which is a bit smaller than a full size genoa and a bit easier to use.

PS, One Forsale on the class Bits for Sale site which I know has not been used much at all,!!!

C P

Swiebertje
    Participant

A thirteen year old can’t manage? That makes me think of Mike Mac’s famous words: “If you don’t know, let go”. A common mistake on a Wayfarer is to oversheet. Other then that, get ratchet blocks, like Colin suggests.

Get rid of the fairlead with jammer, it introduces a lot of friction, and replace it with a small block. The ratchet is then put on the thwart almost under the gunwale. From there the sheet goes to a fairlead and jammer on the thwart. This time the sheet goes through the fairlead in a straight line without friction. Here is a good example of the setup I tried to describe:

Obviously there are variations on this setup, there is no “best solution” only a solution that suits you best.

By far the best source of information is a visit to one of the many Wayfarer events where you will meat friendly and enthusiast sailors who are unstoppable once you ask anything about their boat and setup. Don’t forget to bring a camera!

Anonymous
    Inactive

@MatthewS wrote:

My eldest daughter is 13, keen(ish) to crew in local club races but finds the current 1:1 system too hard to manage.

Another solution might be to use a 3/4 genoa – just happen to have one for sale!

Richard (ex W9592)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks, all, for the rapid and useful responses – especially the photos. The fairlead/ratchet set up looks sensible and should really improve the ease at which we can sheet in on the beats. I think that will be the first improvement to make. The small jib is also a good idea, I think, though I’m not sure the budget will stretch to both.
    The reason I asked about 2:1 was that I had heard that Mike and Rani Pert used some kind of purchase system on their genoa sheeting and I assumed it was a 2:1. (Often they have visited our club ( Aldeburgh) for the annual regatta but so far I never got close enough to see it … on the water at least!) đŸ™‚ .

Dave Bevan

I was thinking of trying a Spinlock PXR swivel cleat to replace the fairlead/cam cleat we have now. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Swiebertje
    Participant

Dave,

I have been looking at them, in fact I had them in my hands and almost bought them. But they have the exact same functionality at more then double the cost and they occupy the same space. So why bother?

Another argument against them was the mechanism, that is more complex and often complexity means an increased chance on failure. And finally, all those other Wayfarers out there can’t be wrong? The set up has proven itself in many boats and in many races. That made me put the Spinlocks back on the display. I went to the the checkout with the Harken fairlead/cleat things. (Mind you, this was in a shop, ehrrrm store, in the US where Harken stuff is much cheaper then it is over here).

These Spinlocks do have a much higher snob factor though! đŸ˜ˆ

Dave Bevan

Thanks Swiebertje,
    I do agree with the “if it ain’t broken, don’t fix it” philosophy, but similar to Matthew, I was looking for something that’s easy for my wife/children to cleat/uncleat, and I also like the idea that there aren’t any cam jaws to grab a small child’s finger.
    I agree they are expensive (especially when replacing something that already works well). I’m not sure about snob factor, but I do like a gadget!
    Dave

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.