Latest News: Forums Cruising 2009 cruising events

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • AUTHOR
    John1162

Where would you like to go cruising next year?

This is the time of year when the Cruising Secretary starts to put together the cruising programme for next year.

I have contacted some rally organisers and there will be some old favourites and perhaps one or two new venues to tempt you.

Perhaps you could introduce a new venue but are unsure how to go about it? Don’t worry. Help is at hand. If you have a venue I can do the paperwork and guide the process along. I don’t need much of an excuse to go on a rally.

Never been on a rally and don’t know what to expect? Send me a private message and I will contact you and answer all your queries.

John Mellor
    Cruising Secretary

Liam

John
    Can you please consider cruising Carrick Roads, St Mawes/Percuil/Helford etc next August (8-15) during Falmouth Week. Using Restronguet as base along with the Race fleet for the Nationals. This formula worked exceptionally well in 2000 enabling integration between the two fleets, involving families and creating a social dimension which we don’t normally see.
    There is plenty to see with all the different fleets out racing. This year they had the superyachts and I suspect they will try something similar to draw the spectators in 2009.
    The option for cruisers is thus to be where there is plenty going on or to disappear into one of the many splendid Creeks and sample the delights of proper Cornish pasties and a pint of Cornish Ale at one of many waterside pubs.
    There can be no better place in England, all you need is decent weather and I have ordered some!

Liam

John1162

Excellent suggestion Liam.

Now all we need is someone with a bit of local knowledge to show us where to go, or indeed where not to go.

Do you have “the Knowledge”? I would love to hear from you.

John.

Liam

Dear John
    Yes I have some knowledge. Have been cruising and racing in the area for many years and in different craft. I will pull together a map and briefing sheet for the various locations familiar to me. I hasten to add I will not have full knowledge and there are others who know the area better, e.g. Robin and June Barker W 4286 ‘CHOUGH’ who lived at Mylor Bridge for some years and were hosts in 2000. They are now members at my club, Starcross, so I will get heads together and create a package which will include laminated maps with locations/features/pubs/type of grub/type of beer and any other information you may find useful though I suspect the main interest is already covered! There are also some National Trust Estate properties which can be accessed from the water. Wayfarers can moor up or beach and visit said locations and then return to base with ease.
    For anyone who has not been before, It is true to say one week is not enough to enjoy everything within easy reach of less than 5 hours sailing from Restronguet base.
    If I sound enthusiastic, it is because I am, I have been going back every year since I was a child (around the 60’s)and we have a boat down there which we never tire of using to cruise around the local Estuaries.
    Yours aye
    Liam

Dave Bevan

Sounds great, already looking for a campsite!

Are there sandy beaches? Our kids will sail anywhere, as long as it’s to a beach!

Liam

Campsites are at Carnon Downs or Cosawes, Perranorworthal. Both are good sites, the former is very large with flat pitches and excellent facilities. The latter has slightly sloping pitches and with new facilities. It is smaller and very family oriented, part owned by Ian Fraser who is ex Commodore of Restronguet Sailing Club. Ian has run the Dinghy racing for Falmouth Week for years and was a co designer/builder of the Dart Catamaran, Wayfarers have tended to opt for Cosawes because it has been cheaper and lent itself to Wayfarer get togethers around camp stoves in the evenings.
    Websites : follow links: http://www.chycor.co.uk/camping/cosawes/
    and : http://www.carnon-downs-caravanpark.co.uk/

Sailing to beaches is not a problem. There are sandy beaches off St Mawes, Falmouth, Maenporth, Swanpool and shingle beaches everywhere.: Some links of use as follows : http://www.stmawes.net/index_files/st_mawes_roseland_peninsula_map.htm
    and :
    http://www.cornwalls.co.uk/Carrick_Roads-village.htm

Another suggestion – I have talked – repeatedly – of the joys of cruising on Lough Erne. Would anybody be interested in coming over. I would suggest an exploratory group could come in 2009, with a view to organising a more ambitious Rally in 2010.
    I have been up there 3 times already, so I know at least part of the Lough, and have some experience of running sailing events, so I would volunteer to coordinate planning.

A variety of places to stay are available – including a dedicated group campsite that we could book on the shores of the Lough

Gordon

Is anyone else interested in North Wales? Two things on my list are

– launch at Menai Bridge and explore the east side of Anglesey
    – launch at Pwllheli and sail to Aberdaron and / or Barmouth.

I wouldn’t be able to organise anything on a ‘formal’ basis for next year but would consider doing so at some point in the future.

Jonathan
    W8866
    Dumdum

Anonymous
    Inactive

I won’t be able to make it to the cruise as we are off to Europe but I would like to put my pennyworth’s in.

I think the Fal would be an excellent spot for the some cruising. We spent 10 days there in 2006 with my kids who were 5 and 3 then and had a fantastic time. We stayed at Carnon Downs campsite which I can’t recommend enough. We had intended to sail from Loe Beach but the road down is very narrow and steep, parking is limited and the car park is/was full of potholes. A lovely spot though. Instead we took the boat down to Mylor and parked it in the boatyard car park for the week. We then launched the boat from there everyday. It was about 20mins drive to get there but…

We sailed up the river, down the river and across the river in some lovely clean winds on relatively flat water. If we hadn’t had kids, trips out of the river would also ave been a good possibility.

Added to this, Falmouth is a great spot for bad weather with all the tourist spots, Maritime museum, Pendennnis castle etc. and non-sailors could easly meet up with the sailors by using the ferries that ply the river.

Go for it and have a great time.

Martyn

Hi John

I agree that the Fal and the Helford estuary would be a great venue for a cruising rally. I have sailed in this area on several occasions during the last few years and always discover new creeks to explore. The passage from Falmouth to the Helford Estuary makes an interesting day sail with a lunchtime break at the Ferry Inn. We have stayed at Cosawes campsite and kept our boat at Mylor Marina which is only a few miles away. The marina has good launching facilities, changing rooms, chandlery, restaurants etc.

May I also suggest that you consider a weekend rally at the Mountbatten Sailing Centre, Plymouth. It is very similar to the Calshot Activity Centre, Southampton and provides inexpensive b&b accommodation as well as good storage and launching facilities, changing rooms and bar! Plymouth Sound also offers an extensive and sheltered cruising area with the added option of a short sea passage to Newton Ferrers/Noss Mayo in the River Yealm. http://www.mount-batten-centre.com

I have thoroughly enjoyed attending the excellent rallies organised by John Norman and Jenny Jeffries at Calshot. Their rallies have given us the experience and confidence to be a little more adventurous and I think that any of the venues mentioned above would be suitable for the less experienced Wayfarer sailors. It would make a change to see the West Country hosting some of next years cruising events.

Paul

Anonymous
    Inactive

north wales with the right weather and tides

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.