Latest News: Forums Racing 2008 Racing Events – there’s a lot going on!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • AUTHOR

Toby Mace, Racing Secretary, Michael McKechnie, Racing Secretary Designate and I have been working hard on getting the fixture list together. Check out the Events page on the main website which Michael has updated.

We are nearly there – only a few more fixtures to be confirmed. Watch this space for more details.

Regards
    Steve Collins, Assistant Racing Secretary Designate

Please find below the latest draft fixture list which Mike and I have been working on. We are still investigating the possibility of an Inland National Championships (possibly at Datchet SC) in July. However, following our meeting with ExComm earlier in the month, we have come up with a radical new format to replace the area champs. The National Circuit will consist of five high quality open meetings sailed at clubs where there is an established Wayfarer Fleet. Our intention is to create a UKWA
    competition which is second only in status to the national championships.

In terms of the AGM proposal, the national circuit events will also replace the area champs in terms of who has to have their transom changed!

Feedback welcome!

24-29 AUG PARKSTONE YC 50th Anniversary NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS

UKWA 50th Anniversary National Circuit
    The winner of the national circuit will count their result from the Finale event at Bough Beech plus their three best results out of the four other national circuit meetings listed below.

17-18 May Blackwater SC National Circuit 1
    14-15 June Warsash SC National Circuit 2
    2-3 August Waldringfield SC National Circuit 3
    27-28 Sept Upper Thames SC National Circuit 4 (Splashaway Trophy)
    8-9 Nov Bough Beech SC National Circuit Finale

Other Open Meetings
    22-23 March Waldringfield SC Easter Egg
    12-13 April West Oxfordshire SC Open Meeting
    24-28 May Upper Thames SC Bourne End Week
    8 June Medway YC Medway Marathon *
    21 June Brading Haven YC Open Meeting
    19-20 July Wilsonian SC Medway Dinghy Regatta
    9-10 Aug Lymington Town SC Regatta
    6-7 September Datchet SC Symmetric Hikers Challenge
    4-5 October Waldringfield SC Cartoon Open Meeting
    * The Medway Marathon to Sheerness and back is also suitable for cruising members

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Steve Collins wrote:

In terms of the AGM proposal, the national circuit events will also replace the area champs in terms of who has to have their transom changed!

Sorry, don’t understand, perhaps Steve could clarify!

Richard

What I was trying explain in my previous post was that, if the AGM proposal is passed, those of us who are sailing Hartley Racers will qualify to have our boats ‘swapped out’ for a new hull with the correct transom shape if we finish in the top 20% in a national circuit event. Hope this makes sense.

Talking of the national circuit, it has been suggested that we should simplify the quaifying rules and make it a straight 4 of 5 events to count or even 3 out of 5 ie not require qualifiers to attend the finale event.

Any comments?

Steve

bigal

Steve , please bear in mind that there are several trophies which are engraved specifically for the Southerns race 3 Westerns race 1 etc so I think the names of the area events should be preserved as far as possible

Alan

Dear Alan
    One of the jobs that Mike and I will have to do when we officially become racing secretaries (assuming that we are voted in at the AGM) is conduct an audit of all our existing trophies. Please rest assured that we will try to achive a balance between tradition and innovation.

Regards
    Steve

@bigal wrote:

Steve , please bear in mind that there are several trophies which are engraved specifically for the Southerns race 3 Westerns race 1 etc so I think the names of the area events should be preserved as far as possible

Alan

@Steve Collins wrote:

UKWA 50th Anniversary National Circuit
    The winner of the national circuit will count their result from the Finale event at Bough Beech plus their three best results out of the four other national circuit meetings listed below.

17-18 May Blackwater SC National Circuit 1
    14-15 June Warsash SC National Circuit 2
    2-3 August Waldringfield SC National Circuit 3
    27-28 Sept Upper Thames SC National Circuit 4 (Splashaway Trophy)
    8-9 Nov Bough Beech SC National Circuit Finale

Please note that in light of feedback from members, the qualification for the national circuit will be amended as follows:

“The winner of the national circuit will count their three best results out of the five national circuit meetings.”

The objective is to simplify the qualification process and generate a higher number of qualifiers.

I will produce a formal Notice of Race to confirm this and other features of the National Circuit in due course.

Assistant Racing Secretary

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.