Latest News: Forums Racing 2008 Racing Events – Anything going on?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Participant

Does anyone know if we have or are planning to have a series of area open meetings this year? I don’t know about anyone else’s diary’s but mine will soon be booked up by ‘The Management’ if I don’t say something soon! 😕

Bob Harland
    Participant

At the moment there are 6 events listed in the UKWA calendar;
    http://wayfarer.org.uk/index.php?option=com_jcalpro&Itemid=92&extmode=cat&cat_id=2

If anyone knows of any others then please let me know.
    thanks
    bob

I thought three Opens were planned for 2008 – so far I only know about the Nationals during Poole Week. And I remember reading about the Shoreham offer being withdrawn to reduce the usual 5 venues.
    I would very much like to participate in the Wayfarer racing circuit, as I have for many years, but it’s getting very late for planning. At the moment, I am keeping my Wayfarer specifically for the Opens while campaigning a L2000 at club level.

Its probably not good form to ask on the Wayfarer site, but why not campaign the Laser 2000 as well as / instead of the Wayfarer??

There are a number of chosen Opens in the L2000 Millennium Series, as well as a number of others – some of which combine a cruise in company on the Saturday with 2 or 3 races against the same company on the Sunday.

There is a good Virtual Earth pointer on the Laser 2000 website that shows where in the UK the different Opens are taking place, so its easy to pick out the ones close to you….

Anonymous
    Inactive

See website for confirmed venues – currently Nationals and Easterns. There’s also the Europeans at Skerries. I’m working on an Inlands – details to be on website when it’s confirmed – and we await news from the racing sec designate (to be appointed at AGM) about the Westerns and Southerns events which he is hoping to set up.
    Cheers, Toby

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Toby – the Easterns has a date but no venue .

Fantasia

to be held at Blackwater Sailing Club, Heybridge Basin, Maldon, Essex

http://www.blackwatersailingclub.co.uk/

I fy you open the link on the fixtures page it will give you the detail above.

Hoping to see you there – I’ll bring the gin!

mckechnie

Myself (Mike McKechnie) and Steve Collins are being proposed as Racing Secretary and Assistant Racing Secretary for acceptance at the AGM (so we are both designate at the moment). We are both keen to see if we can pop some more events into the racing calender for this year, particularly in the months of June and July. Toby, current race sec, is fixing the Inlands and myself and Steve will be approaching some clubs very soon to see if we can pull a few extra events out of the bag. We are both very enthusiastic about getting Wayfarer racing going again and are looking to see if we can get the normal 5 regional events happening. At the moment you should also note the Medway Regatta over the w/e of 19th / 20th July when a fleet of 6 or more will be given their own 4 races with 3 to count.

stewart

@John Hartley wrote:

Sadly the gin wouldn’t be the same without Lesley ‘Vintner’ to provide the smile, tonic, lime and ice as she fired life back into a few weary Chichester Harbour Wayfarers.
    Maybe she should be invited back 😉
    Finitor

For some boats, not the new ones!) you might find that the CRVDA events are worth attending…. http://www.cvrda.org/events/2008/events_list_2008.htm

G.ORilla

@stewart wrote:

@John Hartley wrote:

Sadly the gin wouldn’t be the same without Lesley ‘Vintner’ to provide the smile, tonic, lime and ice as she fired life back into a few weary Chichester Harbour Wayfarers.
    Maybe she should be invited back 😉
    Finitor

I seem to remember the gin more than the sailing………

Anonymous
    Inactive

Lesley Vintner busy being a mother at the moment but she and her family will be moving into an extension I’m having built and her hubby wants to learn to sail – she’ll be around !

I am very pleased to be helping Mike to organise the 2008 racing programme. We have agreed to divide the country between us, and I am looking after bit from Southampton westwards. So that means I am ‘looking after’:

12/13 April West Oxfordshire SC
    24-28 May Bourne End Week, Upper Thames SC.

My top priority is too find a venue for the Western Area Champs – by a deadline of 25 Jan set by Sarah (she wants to send out her AGM papers by then).

Mike and I thought that Weymouth would be a great venue, particularly as we understand that the 2010 world champs are taking place there. Does anyone have any contacts with the clubs there?

I do have contacts at Mounts Bay SC which is a great sailing venue but a long way to travel for many people. What do you think?

I note that Falmouth was mentioned as venue somewhere on the forum.

What about Southampton Water or Lymington – could we count them as western areas?

Regards
    Steve
    Assistant Racing Secretary (Designate)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Steve, there’s a possibility that we could host the westerns at Warsash SC as long as the class is happy to share the water with the Blaze class who have an open running, I think the date is 14/15th June.

Let me know if this is of interest and I’ll look into it for you!

@Roger C wrote:

Hi Steve, there’s a possibility that we could host the westerns at Warsash SC as long as the class is happy to share the water with the Blaze class who have an open running, I think the date is 14/15th June.

Mike and I have agreed that it makes a lot of sense to share open meetings with other classes – it’s a simple win/win situation.

So let’s go for a Wayfarer Open at Warsash on 14/15 June and decide later whether to badge it as the Western Areas. I have put feelers out to my contact at Mounts Bay SC. And Netley SC have also expressed an interest in hosting a Wayfarer open in 2008.

Steve

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.