Latest News: Forums Racing 16 knots and can’t keep it flat

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Algol

Where am I going wrong? Should I be expecting a flat boat in those conditions?

That’s with two decent sized males hiking out. Mast is set up almost to the book (cld maybe do with a bit more prebend, but there’s lots of bend able to go in with the main/kicker)

Thought anyone?

bigal

We get a lot of that wind at Shoreham and need to let the main boom out towards the edge of the transom and the genoa fairleads need to be moved out .Concentrate on keeping the cottons on the genoa flowing plus a bit of pinching keeps the boat fairly up-right .

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Too fuller main and genoa entry, and genoa sheets to far forward can not help.
    You will tend to have to sail fuller off the wind to fill the sail and it will heel you more.

One thing often seen is the obsession to have the main in tight or on the centreline in stronger winds.
    Control the main leach with your kicker then the power in that sail to the boat by the mainsheet. Its a work hard, in and out thing your just have to work at all the time.

Something from long time ago that Mr Mac told us at a talk he did,

‘ Your boat will not go fast if it looks like the boat on a Wills Woodbine fag packet.’

If your old enough to remember that, buy a Zimmer!

Ps, Got Mine!

C P 😉

Algol

@Colin Parkstone wrote:

One thing often seen is the obsession to have the main in tight or on the centreline in stronger winds.

The trouble is, what I need a lot of the time is to point high, as high as possible to counteract the tide which runs at 3-plus knots coming straight at me to get to the first mark. Heading as near as possible to the wind and straight into the tide here is vital sometimes. If I ease the mainsheet I’d just be going across the river, ie effectively getting taken backwards. I spent an age in the last race trying to get up to the first windward mark, so had plenty of time discussing buying a faster boat with my crew 🙂

@Colin Parkstone wrote:

Something from long time ago that Mr Mac told us at a talk he did,

‘ Your boat will not go fast if it looks like the boat on a Wills Woodbine fag packet.’

If your old enough to remember that, buy a Zimmer!

I remember Woodbine from my childhood (seeing, not smoking :D), but I don’t remember a boat on the packet. You’re not thinking of Senior Service are you?

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Non smoker also,so may have it wrong but the boat was an A Class cat if I remember sailing on one hull.
    I will ask Mike this weekend!

I do not think you can have it all, pointing high can be slowing for speed and not help you go over the tide.
    Also, have your got your centreboard fitting the box well,are the sides packed so as to not have any side movement ?
    If it moves just a small amount it will be will not help your pointing.

C P

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.