I think a Skarsten scraper would be ok provided the blade is at right angles to the surface as you pull it across. Some scrapers have a blade that is held at a low angle much the same way as you would strip wall paper but these have a great risk of digging into the surface.
A cabinet scraper is an altogether different tool that has a cutting edged formed by burring the edge of a piece of steel.
More info available if required !!!
Regards Peter