Welcome to the UKWA Home Page Forums Technical Wintering my recently purchased wooden Wayfarer 455 Re: Re: Wintering my recently purchased wooden Wayfarer 455

Dave Barker
Keymaster

Dickie,

Great to know that you’ve discovered the joys of Wayfarer sailing.

So far, this has been a mild and fairly dry winter, but I would urge you to try to find somewhere to keep your boat ashore for the next 2 or 3 months. If it gets wet and cold the boat could literally be ruined by Easter.

A Wayfarer fits nicely inside a steel shipping container, which some self-storage firms use as one of their s/s options. If there’s a problem with trolley/trailer availability I’m sure we can find someone who could help out. Even if the boat is stored outdoors with a decent, ideally breathable, cover, that would be better than nothing.

I have a sailing friend living near you (GP14 – nobody’s perfect) who may be able to help, with suggestions for storage sites or possibly even with a suitable spot at his place of work. Please consider this, and send me a PM or email (dbpianos[at]gmail[dot]com) if I can help in any way.