Latest News: Forums Technical W438 – some newbie questions Re: Re: W438 – some newbie questions

admin

Oliver, it’s funny how these things come all at once, I spent most of saturday with a newbie Enterprise and a Wayfarer owner attending to just these sort of issues.

Firstly the forestay performs no useful purpose other than to hold the mast up in the boat-park, in fact I am thinking about replacing mine with a length of Dyneema which I will detach at the bow fitting once the genoa is up and fastened, because it is the wire halyard in the Genoa or Jib that tensions the rig, not the forestay. So, as others have said before, a short forestay combined with a lanyard made of a metre or so of 2mm rope is fine.

I notice that you do not have the means to tension the rig by pulling the Genoa halyard tight, some have a Highfield lever to achieve this, I have a cascade system on mine to exert the not inconsiderable tension on the halyard necessary to get the overall rig tensioned up to the figures in the Wayfarer Book. One of the Enterprise owners I was talking to only had a rope halyard for his jib and I have given him my old Highfield and pointed him towards a rigger who advertises on eBay who can make up a halyard for about £20.

The outhaul arrangement again is exactly as presented by my Enterprise friends at the weekend, even down to the funny ears on the end-plate of the boom. My advice (and I am sure there are other different, but just as valid pieces of advice to be had), would be to self-tapping screw or pop-rivet a lacing eye onto the starboard side of your boom just clear of the slot somewhere near the end of the boom (doesn’t really matter how far forward from the end) and a lightweight cheek block on the port side side close to the end. Get a pulley block with a hook attached which will hook into the cringle on the clew of the sail. The rope you show in your photograph should be tied to the lacing eye, pass forward around the hook-block (which will be hooked onto the back of the sail), back through the cheek-block then all the way forward to the tube-cleat you have on the port side of the boom. This cleat should be near the front so that the crew can get at it and tighten or release as necessary. Some people skip the hook-block and simply pass the rope through the sail cringle, but the pulley reduces friction and means you can leave the outhaul on the boom when you take the mainsail off.

Nice restoration job BTW!

When fixing stainless steel to aluminium, use an anti-corrosion gel to limit corrosion between dissimilar metals.

Have fun.

Mike