Latest News: Forums Cruising Launch points on Skye Reply To: Launch points on Skye

Hi Jonathan

can’t believe I didn’t chat to you more about this at Ullswater…. My parents and sister & brother-out-law live in Sleat in the south of Skye so obviously know it reasonably well. I didn’t have a login before to answer your question.
Anyway I think people have covered most of the points but some small additions for the record:

* Isleornsay – Iain (McRobbie) is right about Isleornsay although parking can get busy around the hotel if you were wanting to leave car and trailer for any length of time. Very sheltered anchorage, popular with yachts. (And the hotel has a good bar with good beer, food and live music.)

* Ord (west coast of Sleat) – quiet beautiful little bay and there is a rough old slip which leads down to a sandy beach with a natural little harbour between rocks at North side of bay. Quite shelted on Loch Eishort given the rocks. Slip involves a 90 degree turn from track and very rough so not great and might only be suited to hand. Would need to have another look. Otherwise worth mentioning and remembering for sea access. Pretty much all tides with the sand I think….
It’s a wee bit of a drive along a single track but a lovely remote spot and great for anyone with kids. Always used to go and play there when I was wee and now take my kids when we’re up….
I’ll try to go and check this one out further when I’m back up next (end of Sept.)

* also, has anyone been to Drumfearn (head of Loch Eishort)? will also try and go and check it out… I know a guy who runs shellfish boats out of here… but not sure if there’s even a slip and if so how suitable it is for Ws.

Iain