Latest News: Forums General Used sails – what are they worth??? Reply To: Used sails – what are they worth???

Anonymous
Inactive

Colin, you’ve obviously read my other thread! At risk of being flamed I would say that the Flying Fifteen is actually much more suitable for where I sail. The class is really well supported at our club and gets good turnouts so we can fleet race; and works well in the local conditions where it is able to cope with the the infamous South Windermere wind, which can be vicious and unpredictable.

Whilst we do have a sizeable fleet of Wayfarers they don’t tend to get raced much, it’s very rare three turn out for a race which is the minimum we need for class racing. Most of them seem to be sailed by people who just want to potter on the lake, or by beginners learning to race. This is great, but just not what I’m really looking for. If we had a strong fleet I’d maybe stick with it, but we don’t and nor are there any other fleets nearby so no open meetings within striking distance, unfortunately.

Chris, I had the same experience looking for sails, in fact I’d been after a set ever since I bought the boat 3 years ago but they are either clearly either as worn out as mine, or they were £500 and at the other end of the country, so new ones for just under £600 seemed a better gamble. And indeed were.

I usually go with the low opening bid to attract initial interest, but you can’t really do that in conjunction with a “Buy it now”, as for some bizarre reason ebay cancels the buy it now as soon as the first conventional bid is placed. Hence I put a starting bid of my minimum figure instead. Also, a reserve doesn’t really allow you to see the true market value as a lot of people don’t want to bid and reveal how much they are willing to pay until they can see the reserve has already been met.

As it happened the end result was actually the same, as instead of bidding everyone seemed to just email offers instead; and indeed I have now given in and sold them to someone for £340, subject to them collecting them next week. Hey ho!

As regards the tiller, why not make one yourself? I got a local joiner to make me a mahogany blank which he planed all round to the size of the big end, then I planed the taper on myself and profiled the end to fit the stock. A laminated one would theoretically have been better but it has survived two years without either warping or snapping so I guess it was good enough, and only took me a couple of hours to make. Joiner didn’t even charge me for the blank either, though I think I chucked him a fiver to get himself a drink with!