Latest News: Forums Cruising Up the Lynher Reply To: Up the Lynher

Anonymous
Inactive

Hi Martyn
I am no expert having only done two nights afloat and I don’t know the Tamar so my motive is to learn here. My only thought would be get an anchor that you can trust as it will allow you the flexibility to change your plans at the last second eg you find your idyllic peaceful planned anchorage chock a block with party lovin’ yachties / teenagers or the wind direction is such you would be bobbing about all night. I looked at Bob’s list for equipment for the Milford Haven rally (see the link in the posting …..awesome cruise) and saw he has a 10lb plough, which is a serious anchor! the Wayfarer handbook advocates a 5lb Danforth, CQR like a plough, or a Bruce, + 2metres chain. Obviously it depends what ground you are anchoring in but (subject to budget) I would get/borrow a 6lb Danforth type or plough………..its a worthy investment and peace of mind is a wonderful thing …(boat jumble?).. I agree about folding grapnels (maybe okay for a picnic)……….how heavy is it?…….keep it as a secondary. Have a good one whatever. Cheers Dave